1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTPC Advice Urgently please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seandavies-2009, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seandavies-2009

seandavies-2009 Thread Starter

Hi, Can sumbawdy give me advice on which combo to use for an HTPC I`m bulding.

I`m currently running an AMD ATHLON XP2200+ on a VIA KM266 board with 2GB DDR Ram, and a NVIDIA Geforce FX5500 AGP 4x 256MB DDR card, 40 Gb HDD 5200 rpm IDE as an HTPC for my SAMSUNG 50 Inch Plasma via VGA input giving 1368 x 768 resolution.
    I am very pleased with the picture quality... But ...when just using WMP11 to play backup vob and MKV files from My WD 250Gb external USB portable drive, it seems a little bit choppy! if that makes sense and sometimes after a while of playing these files the system will freeze and i have to reboot. I get the same effect playing DVD`s from the SATA DVD Rom as well??
    The system is even more unstable and video playback even worse when using Media Portal Software which i would really like to use for this setup.

SOOOooo is there something i have missed or can do to this hardware setup OR my other option is a Intel Celeron D 2.8ghz 945G board, Nvidia Geforce 7300Le PCI-e 512Mb DDR2 card, 2Gb DDR Ram Upgrade to the system i am building now?

Bare in mind this will be for Multimedia only, not games.

Please help, having sleepless nights and irritating rashes wondering what to do next.

Oh, i have a 120Gb Ide 7200rpm Harddrive to replace the 40Gb 5200rpm ide drive i have now as well to throw in with my big question.

Thanks in advance Mates.

2. seandavies-2009

seandavies-2009 Thread Starter

Ooops sorry the Celeron D 2.8ghz is plugged into an INTEL D915GAG MOTHERBOARD

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice