1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTPC Motherboard w/Onboard USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mightymo77, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mightymo77

mightymo77 Thread Starter

I'm going to be building a HTPC soon. I need a motherboard that has onboard USB 3.0 so that I can connect the front USB ports of my case (I want USB 3.0 in the front, not 2.0). All the motherboards I find have USB 3.0 for the back ports, but the onboard is 2.0. Does anyone know of any models?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most [however not all] htpc type cases use micro atx boards. Post what case you are using and perhaps we can find one for you.

4. mightymo77

I was thinking about this one: HERE
    It's a MicroATX case. I don't really care what case I have, as long as it's not the cube looking kind, I like the stereo receiver looking type. I want it to be quiet as well, not installing a video/sound card. I want to use Intel i5.

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Why run an i5 for an htpc?

There are much better chipset offerings on AMD platforms that can deliver HD output at cooler and quieter values.

Also, why USB 3.0 on the front panel?
    (Large data dumps would be better served by gigabit LAN connections).

6. mightymo77

Well I don't really know why i5, I don't want to run a video card or sound card, I find it unnecessary. I just do emulation ( http://www.mightymo.net ), not PC games. So motherboard, CPU and RAM suggestions are very welcomed. Please understand I'm trying to lean towards low power (just not very high consumption) and definitely low noise.

Right now on my desktop I've been running integrated Radeon HD 3200 graphics and it has been more than adequate for me. So anything above that would be good.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

I thought you were building an HTPC?

8. mightymo77

I am, mostly to play emulated games on my 55" LED. Movies, pictures, Blu-ray, blah blah is secondary.

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

I other words, a computer using a TV as a monitor...with you sitting on the couch with a mouse and keyboard?

10. mightymo77

Maybe I'm not fully aware of what a HTPC is. Why are you asking me these questions?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

HTPC = Home Theater Personal Computer

HTPC's are computers used for home theater entertainment purposes for things like watching movies, streaming media, time shifting, etc.

A computer connected to a TV to play games is not an HTPC.

12. mightymo77

OK well since it will have HDMI output to connect to my receiver, what does it matter what I do with it? HTPC = PC connected to a TV, it does not matter what you use it for.

Can we just stick to my question? I do appreciate the replies, but I want to know if there's a motherboard where I can have both front case as well as the back USB 3.0 ports. CPU recommendations are very welcome as I haven't been keeping up with hardware so much these days.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you put a ssd type drive into an enclosure, the usb 3.0 is useless. A mech hard drive is not going to go any faster with 3.0 than with 2.0.

I just built a htpc for myself using this gigabyte board Works great and the onboard video plays blu ray movies just fine on the 47" LED TV.

Home theater cases can be pretty expensive compared to desktop type cases. I used this one and I am very happy with it. Looks like an old time radio.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039

14. mightymo77

Haha I always wanted to buy that case, but it will just not go right with my home theater system. Well it wouldn't fit anyway, I need the receiver type kind, can't be the kind that has height to it.

Anyways not getting much help here. I will just settle for USB 2.0 in the front. I was going to use a SSD for my OS drive, and a big 2TB for everything else.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    crjdriver, how easy or hard was the build in the wood HTPC case you used? That would fit right in with my entertainment center. I do enjoy my Videos and what gaming I do on my 60" Mitsubishi.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!