1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

htpc needs.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plschwartz, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

I am putting together a HTPC for my vacation house to use w a 32 inch syntax HDTV.
    I have seen htpc described from pentium III on up.
    I have a amd 1100mz chipand 1/2 G of memory. Radeon 9600 board. Am gettingAudigy 2 zs
    Monoprice HDMI switch
    I will not TIVO
    what benefit is there for getting a faster cpu/more memory?

Paul

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Since you don't plan on recording TV on it. What you have should be fine.

I'd suggest using a stripped down nlite windows installation, or a linux geexbox installation.

3. plschwartz

Thank you for this help and all you do onthis board.
    P.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Why do you need an htpc if you're not going to use it to record TV? Just wondering what its use would be becuuse tyically that's the reason people have them. I don't have an htpc, but I use our desktop to record programs and then I have a networked DVD player that I use to play the stuff from the hard drive along with home movies. But my point is the main reasin to have a PC hooked to a television is to display stuff from the PC to the television. One thing would be records programs, another would be videos stored on the hard drive--another would be for games (and I don't think you'll use it for that).

Maybe if you tell us what you are trying to accompliish, then you might end up going in a different direction.

5. plschwartz

Things have changed since I learned that Cablevision scrambles all hdtv signals. So I need a digi cable box rental :mad:
    I guess I then dont need a tv tuner card. I can run the box to the HDTV hmdi input directly.
    But in addition to general PC stuff using my HDTV as an expensive monitor, I want to use it for 5.1 audio via my audigy2 card.
    My problem is how to get an input for this sound card. Most cheaper HDTVs (my speed) only have L/R audio out instead of the 5.1 dolby surround I desire.
    Is ther any way of getting such an audio signal to the PC?
    Thanks

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Do you have 5.1 surround sound speakers hooked to the computer? It seems you are doing it backwards. I output a digital signal from my computer to my receiver, which is hooked to speakers and all sound goes through the receiver, including from the Cablebox--that's how you should be doing it.

It sounds to me like you are trying to have your sound card act as the receiver for sound. If so, you need an HDTV TV tuner card and an antenna and then you don't need the cable box--you can pick up HDTV over antenna--of course you don't get alll the channels that you would through cable, but the major ones (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox) are all broadcasting in high definition anyway. You don't need the cable box for basic cable, at least that's how most cable companies work--you need the box for digital and HDTV only.

But I would set it up so you have a receive and speakers that everything else feeds into becuse then you can switch output from television to DVD to VCR or computer, etc. from the receiver.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Gonna move this to hardware--see if it gets more attention there--it will stay on the first page of the DIY forum for a long time anyway. Let me know if you want it moved back here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice