1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HTPC problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rWmS, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rWmS

rWmS Thread Starter

I have a shiny new Samsung series 6 LED LCD 40inch screen TV and I want a small Blueray capable HTPC. I found the ACER ION 330HT-BD with the following specs:
    Intel Atom 330 dual core CPU (1,6GHz)
    Nvidia ION graphics processor
    2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    320GB HDD
    Blue-Ray Combo drive
    Wi-Fi, HDMI port, 7.1 Audio and a 65W PSU

Does it have the power needed to decode 1080p HD Blueray movies and .mkv's and show it at a high frame rate? For the book I'll probably be using Ubuntu as an OS. Any comment wellcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. parasolution

parasolution

I read somewhere that the Nvidia graphics processor will be pushed to its limit and that 1080p may not be possible on some movies.

2GB of RAM may also be pushing it. On my first HTPC setup, I had 2GB of RAM and that caused me some problems, but i was also running a single core processor at that time.

IIRC, your biggest hurdle may be your choice of OS. When I first started looking at building an HTPC, I considered using Ubuntu. But at the time, 2 years ago, playback of HD movies (HD-DVD and Bluray) was limited for Ubuntu. It was possible, but not without jumping through a lot of hurdles. Not sure if that has changed and someone has developed an open-source player for commercial HD content.

I settled on using Vista Home Premium and using WinDVD to decode Bluray and HD-DVD.

3. rWmS

rWmS Thread Starter

Thancs for the responce.
    I read that with flash 10.1 the CPU and GPU work together to keep usage as low as possible. There is hd 1080p support for ubuntu via Boxee so that's not a problem. I already made the purchase but thancs anyway

4. parasolution

parasolution

IIRC, if you are looking to play commercial bluray discs, Boxee will not support the output of bluray.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice