1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huawei mobile wi-fi thinks its Orange wi-fi!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by karaman, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo,

question is in three parts. Win 7 Home Premium

1. used to have orange mobile broadband wi-fi but was not a good deal so i stopped it. The software stayed on my laptop.

I now signed up for Huawei mobile connect - 3G. On connecting dongle to laptop's USB, nothing happened( I was expecting an 'installing Huawei' window, etc). The dongle works as i can connect to the internet but on looking into it, the dongle connects via the previous Orange software - see two .jpg files. What does this mean? It is inconvenient as i cannot see how much up/download i have used, there does not a[ppear to be any Huawei software to give me any information. should i remove the Orange via Add/Remove Programs and start again with the Huawei dongle?

2. On looking at the security tab in Properties for Orange, am not happy with the CHAP and MS-CHAPv2. see jpg. Can i uncheck them without losing connectivity performance?

3. Still in Properties, Networking tab, dont like the file and printer sharing and client for Ms networks boxes either, just want the TCP/IP version4 box ticked.see jpg.Would i be right in having just IP4 checked?

As you can gather i dont have much of a clue about what is going on.

Ideas appreciated.

Karaman

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can see from your screen shots that you now have a Huawei modem. I did not realize that they are now also a mobile service provider, and could not find information about them. Do you have a link for your ISP?

3. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

hallo,

my mistake, the modem's make is huawei, the ISP is Three. i forgot you are probably in the US and may not have this iSP there.

The question still remains - how does huawei sw take on the mantle of an other isp's software?

cheeers

karaman

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What "huawei sw"? I don't have mobile wireless, but I would think that there would be a driver supplied by the modem manufacturer or the ISP and then a program supplied by the ISP for connecting to their service. Maybe somebody with experience with your modem or service can help.

5. steve65

steve65

You may uncheck the file and print sharing for Microsoft Networks if you do not share a printer (printer physically attached to this pc) or files from this computer. You may uncheck the Client for Microsoft Networks if you do not log into a microsoft network, or access shared resources from another PC or server via Microsoft Networking. (typically I would leave the client checked and uncheck the share printer and files) Leave the MSCHAP etc settings alone as these allow connections the flexibility to choose a secure connection if they support it. These settings should not have an impact on the performance of your computer.

6. karaman

karaman Thread Starter

thank you steve 65, sorted.other question follows. dont think i shalll ever understand this machine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice