1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hub Connection Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sdtex, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdtex

sdtex Thread Starter

I'm preparing to connect 2 home computers to a hub for my first "Network" attempt. My question is.....Does it matter which computer I use as the primary and which I use for the secondary?? I have one computer that's a Pent II - 266, which I'd like to use as the primary, and my other is a Pent. IV - 1.2 G. Computer #2 is newer and faster, but does that really matter?? Is there any one thing I should consider before using one or other as the primary, which will be connected to my phone line for dial-up internet access. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

sdtex
    I can give you my two cents but I am sure there are others more knowledgable in networking that may answer.
    I would use the faster machine as the primary because of its ability to transfer data faster and it will be the one you will primarily be working on. In order for the secondary to connect to the Internet the primary will have to be on. You probably have a wake on lan function available on the newer computer and would be able to turn the new computer on remotely to use it for the internet. (not completely sure of that though)
    Note: I would also install a good firewall on the primary machine to insure nothing pops in you do not want or out for that matter.
    Both machines will need a good up to date antivirus.
    Here is a site I refer to for all my network setup and questions.
    http://www.helmig.com/
    Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
    Dave

3. sdtex

sdtex Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice, Davey. This gives me something to do while watching football all day tomorrow.

Have a Safe and Happy New Year!!

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

sdtex
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and final resolution.
    Happy New Years to you to.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice