Huge fines and a ban on default passwords in new UK law

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can see where the UK govt. is going with this one, but sometimes you simply cannot legislate for user ignorance. I'm not using that word in a pejorative sense. Rather, when it comes to these devices, I know from long experience that people simply won't learn even the basics for securing IoT devices.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I think that's the problem they're trying to address. You can't trust users to change default passwords on their own, so let's not use admin/admin on everything. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Easy-to-guess default passwords preloaded on devices are banned. All products now need unique passwords that cannot be reset to factory default.

I don't like the part about not being able to reset to factory default. A lot of devices will be returned because the user messed up the password they are trying to set. I saw this happen years ago when I worked at Walmart. A lot of computers were returned or exchanged because the user put in a password and immediately forgot it.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
I agree with you there. That does seem like a strange requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online