1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

huge frame drops when playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by samvdt, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

when I am playing games like fortnite, apex legends or even rocketleague I get frame drops. when playing apex every time I try to shoot at someone, when playing fortnite every time I build really fast it drops from 144 to 40 and sometimes in random occasions it drop to 20 for around 10 seconds. i have my settings on low.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you try a graphics driver update ?

3. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

how do i do that?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display adapter > driver, right click on it and choose Update

5. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

i had already done that. didnt help

6. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

i had already done that. didnt help

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you using Windows Defender as a your antivirus ? Third party av can cause problems.
    What other applications are running at the same time as your game? The more things running together, the slower it gets . Check Task Manager > Startup tab and see which ones you don't need and can disable

8. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

i do use a 3rd party antivirus but I already had the problem before that. Im not running a different program except for discord. i had already disabled other programs when i start up my laptop

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

When did the frame drops start ? Did you install any new programs just before that?

10. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

I have this since the beginning so i have no idea

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

The frame drops ocurred since you got your PC/laptop ?

What version of Windows 10 are you running. Click on Start, and type 'winver' .

Have you been doing Windows Updates?

12. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

what is a normal speed??

13. miller101

miller101

What are the specs of your PC/Laptop? Have you tried lowering some video settings or have you checked your PC temps while in game?

14. samvdt

samvdt Thread Starter

i have an acer predator helios 2017, intel core i7 9th gen, nvidea gforce 1050 ti. I always use low settings. i have looked at my temps and they were around 90 degrees celcius. so i put my proccesors maximum capabillity to 80% now they are around 60 degrees clecius

15. apusta90

apusta90

First Name:
    Apusta Wenlock
    I think you should try playing light games first, if you don't see any frame drops in light games in compare to heavy games like apex legends or fortnite, then it might be something wired graphics driver issue i think. If it is, then reinstalling graphics driver may also fix it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice