1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huge freeze when using any flash/video related software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulmorny, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

When i use logmein.com, skype video call, youtube or any type of video file after a few mins my computer completely freezes up. I believe flash is used in all of those, i tried updating to the latest flash and even rolling back to Flash 9, doesn't make a difference.
    If i'm talking on Skype i have no issues even for an hour, if i turn on video chat within 5-10 mins it will freeze. Also have issues with Photoshop and Dreamweaver, using them for a while seems to eventually cause these freezes, the longer i leave it on the worse it gets, in particular when using the Photoshop CS6 menus it seems to lag and it doesn't do this when i load it for the first while. When it happens when i am on a skype call or sometimes a video its like the speed of people talking or music slows down, the whole computer will be completely unresponsive for 5 mins and then it will come back and start working fine again. I cant check whats using the most CPU as its starting to die off by the time it comes back but usually when it happens, Chrome,Firefox,Dreamweaver,Photoshop,vsmon,dwm.exe all seem to be the main ones but i don't think its them specifically just seems to affect my whole PC and they are probably the main ones that use graphics card.
    I also tried a complete windows re-install, clean wipe of the hard drive. Im using Windows 7 and its a legit copy of windows. The computer is a XPS 15z i7 8gb Ram and the Graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce GT525M and i downloaded the latest driver from their support site, it was dated Jan 2013 so quite new.
    I also noticed it gets very hot, more than i would expect for this laptop and if for example i have it lying on the bed it will be super hot quickly and it will freeze up also especially if its already been running a while, a lot of times i don't turn off the laptop at all and leave it running overnight.
    I stripped down the whole Laptop, i have a feeling its the graphics card because the intense heat is roughly where the graphics card is, that spans probably the whole left side of the laptop, its under the motherboard and it was difficult to get at it, i couldn't see a fan, it just looked like a black slab, but everything seems in order, the fan doesn't look like its dirty or full of fluff or anything.
    Now maybe its actually the sound card, a while back many months ago i spilled some beer on the laptop, not really sure if much got on it, but it wasn't too much and was wiped off within a minute, it would have penetrated through the keyboard and speaker holes.
    Initially it wouldn't start and then eventually it did, had some trouble with the sound working for a day or two and it was crackling a lot on the left side where the sound card is but now it works perfect and no crackling or issues for months.
    I would be happy to replace the graphics card if people think its quite likely to be the issue, what would cause the intense heat, i think it must at least be related, is the fan not cooling it down enough or could it be the sound card.
    Ideally i don't want to lose 2-3 days leaving this into a technician as i need this for work so i would rather take the risk and get replacement part IF the experts think its very likely to be the graphics card. Another words i am looking for the quickest way to fix it without much downtime and don't mind if that costs a few hundred its better than being offline for a few days which i cant afford.
    Also when it happens it shows 100% CPU usage, i know it wont solve the problem but would sticking in another 8gb of ram at least help the issue, no harm having extra ram anyway and i know the CPU usage is the problem not ram but though that if there was more ram it might ease things when it happens and maybe it wont be as severe.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

thanks,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8086 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 695299 MB, Free - 442824 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
    Antivirus: None

Dell XPS 15z Laptop

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Is there a reason your not running an Anti-Virus program?

5. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

Not a good one i must admit, i uninstalled one a while back to try and rule it out for one of the causes along with a bunch of other programs and just never reinstalled it, im usually pretty careful on what i click on or install but i will reinstall it now that you brought it up. I did run malwarebytes last week and nothing interesting showed up, i know its highly unlikely this is virus related giving the information but still worth having one installed so ill do that

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Many members here recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 or http://www.avast.com/en-us/index both are free. ONLY USE ONE Anti-Virus program, having more than one will cause problems!

In conjunction with either of them use both of the following and run them at least once a week.
    Malwarebytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
    Superantispyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Make sure to update their definition files during the install process.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, they may offer.
    Make sure to uncheck or decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.
    After they're installed and updated, restart the computer.
    Run a quick scan with each one.
    After each quick scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING that was found.

7. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

OK thanks for the info, ill run malwarebytes now, but just to verify your not suggesting this as a solution but more to check there isnt anything else contributing and also its good advice anyway to be protected, i say that because i had this issue before i reinstalled windows and directly after a clean reinstall when i done a 100% format so it wasnt a recovery install or anything like that so i think we can safely rule out viruses being the cause of this issue giving that information or at least its highly unlikely to be the cause IMO, anyway really appreciate the help and quick responses here

I also ran HW monitor and here are the results

Find attached Monitor Info screenshot and here is the full file

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Not the solution to your original post. Keep in mind that malwarebytes does not look for Viruses. I am using Avast Free edition and am very happy with it. Very light on resources.

Can you copy and paste your HWMonitor in here? The link is not working for me.

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I use the Snipe tool in Windows 7 then use the GO Advance features at bottom of page to upload it.

Attached Files:

10. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

Ok added the screenshot, sorry didnt see the attachment option below that

Attached Files:

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    See if you can use your Sniping tool in Windows7 and do what I did to post it here. You can Edit your last post yourself as I cannot.

12. paulmorny

paulmorny Thread Starter

Yes its above and here is the full text file if it helps too

Attached Files:

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You definitely have a Temp problem. Are your vents clear of dust? Hopefully one of the Tech's will chime in with some advice for you. Also, that's a good looking laptop:)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice