1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

huge graphic card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davon09, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davon09

davon09 Thread Starter

ok so i needed a new graphics card and i opened up my tower or w/e its called to see if i need pci or agp pcie etc....and i saw pci slots then i looked closer and saw pciex16 written very small next to this was an empty slot ...by slot i mean were the graphics card goes into the way my motherboard works is theres 3pci slots in a row and were theres supose to be a fourth...theres nothing so i assumed the other 3 were pciex16 so i went out and bought a pciex16 card turns out it doesnt fit.....why and were is my pciex16 slot if it clearly says it on the motherboard:mad:

any help is appreciated thanks =)

2. sirhannick

sirhannick

What is the make and model of your computer?

3. Compiler

Compiler

Sounds kind of like a Dell in which they removed the PCIe x16 slot for the low-costs systems.

Also... your PSU needs to be able to support the video card.

Run PCWizard and it should tell you what kind of slots you have. Click on mainboard (center top icon) and click on PCI Express if such an option is there.

4. davon09

davon09 Thread Starter

its an hp and is there a way to add the pcie x16 slot if they took it out

5. Compiler

Compiler

No.... buy a whole new computer. hmmm. yeah I think I remember such an HP but I thought it was just Dell.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Did you run PC Wizard to confirm if you have a PCIe Slot? Show a photo... for all we know, you may have an AGP system.

Is the "missing slot' closest to the CPU and looks longer than the 3 PCI slot?

Here is a photo of a typical board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ion=Foxconn 45GMX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Zoom in if you can. The slots on this board are X16 PCIe, X1 PCIe and 2 PCI slots. Notice the position in which the PCIe slots are farther from the edge of the board than the PCI slots (White).

We'd like to know WHAT kind of computer this is... that if the PCIe slot was removed, to warn people to not but it. HP only saved about 10 cents to not ADD the slot... of course as a customer, you're completely screwed for upgrades for a real gaming card.

Also what kind of video card? Higher end cards require bigger PSUs to work... HPs and other most name brand PCs won't powerup a mid-range card or higher.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice