1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huge issues installing Vista on a brand new PC

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rainfall, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rainfall

Rainfall Thread Starter

Hi.

A few weeks ago I decided to get a new computer for gaming, but not knowing much in the field of hardware I let my cousin (way better on the subject) basically pick out the parts, let me order them, and he'd put it together.

The parts came a few days ago and Ive had the computer built for awhile, we ordered Vista home premium with it (32 bit edition) and I still have yet to get it installing correctly.

So basically the first night I start installing it, everything seems to be going fine but its taking a LONG time (around 7 hours), at 1 AM it still shows no signs of being done and I did not want to leave it on overnight, so I turned it off.

Turned it on the next morning, saying it didnt finish and would need to resintall, tried it again except this time it stays at 0% on the second step ("Expaning Files")

I mean, after like an hour or 2, its still at 0%, but the computer has not actually FROZEN, just hanging or whatever.

Ok, no big deal, I use a reformating program, completely wipe the HD and try again.

Its not freezing anymore! huzzah! So I wait for 7 MORE long hours, watching it slowly install, it restarts a few times, theres some points where its just a black screen with the mouse cursor for like 15 minutes, I get the "Vista is preparing for its first start" message, it restarts, says its completeing the installation, then I get an error saying something along the lines of "Windows setup failed to install Vista on this hardware" with nothing but an ok option to click.

So, yeah, I'm a little lost here.

Now I am about 95% sure my cousin did not screw anything up when he built it, but if you think otherwise please let me know.

Specs:

Motherboard - EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

I'm not entirely sure what other information may be needed. Let me know though.

There is only one solution I can think of on my own, I never actually made a partition for the hard drive, just tried to install it the way it was - would that cause the problem? And if so what format should I use? (FAT32 or the other one?)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

(P.S. - Sorry if I repeat myself or seem a little confused, I also had my wisdom teeth taken out and I'm on painkillers, so this is an extra stressful situation now...)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's possible that you got bad memory or a bad drive. Start with the memory. If you have multiple sticks, remove them one at a time and try to install. If you want faster results, use a memory test. You can use the one on the Vista DVD or:

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

Then I'd suspect some misconfiguration of the drive. Check BIOS settings and look on the drive for a jumper (even SATA).

I've installed a few Vistas and the number 7 was not ever involved, even on old machines.

3. Rainfall

Rainfall Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Elvandil.

Well, I ran both Microsoft Memory test and Memscope, both reporting no errors, so I assume its something with the drive then.

Sadly I don't know much about the BIOS and since I'm not familiar with this PC I'd rather not open it up on my own, so I'm going to try and drag my cousin over here later and get him to take a look at it.

What is it exactly he should be checking the drive for? Hes the one who originally setup the BIOS, so a small list or something I can show him to check for would be appreciated.

I did notice while the PC was booting up once, one of the lines said something about "media test failure, check cable"...I was going to write it down but it went away too fast, bah.

Well at least it isnt the memory so I don't have to ship anything back...

Tell me about it. I was thinking "If this thing runs games at the speed it installs Vista I'm going to take it apart and get a refund"

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not knowing what will be found in the BIOS settings, I can't really advise. There should be a default setting and it may already be set at default.

My idea is that something in the SATA/RAID area may not be optimal.

That connection message you got implies to me that I may be on the right track here. Check the drive for a jumper next to the power connector, too.

And, it's always possible that you just got a bad drive. It happens. Tests are available at the manufacturer's site. I'd use one that scans for bad clusters and also be sure to check the drive's electronics with its SMART status. If SMART is a BIOS option, turn it on. (You can turn it off later--that may give games a slight boost.)

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    Manufacturer's Tests
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice