1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huge problem with PC. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moretto1991, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moretto1991

Moretto1991 Thread Starter

Ok so recently while I was doing my normal work online, my computer just straight up froze. I went to turn it back on, and it went straight to the login screen like normal, then went to the start up menu as normal. As I start clicking again, it freezes once again, this time when I restart it, it won't even load the login screen. The original operating system was Vista and I grabbed 2 disks in the mail to upgrade to Windows 7. I cannot find my recovery disks either. I went and bought a new hard drive and borrowed windows Xp disks from my friend and I'm getting some of the same errors from before. The computer will start up and I'll put the windows Xp recovery disk in and then it will say "No disks for raid to use, raid disabled." Then go straight to a black screen that says Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Can anyone please help me, I've tried everything, reconnecting cables, buying this new hard drive. I just don't understand what's wrong. Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, your post is not very clear. Exactly what os do you have installed now [if any]

Have you installed the new hard drive or are you using your old hard drive?

Have you tried to recover the original os using the recovery partition on your original drive?

3. Moretto1991

Sorry, the OS I had installed was windows 7 on my old hard drive, I've tried several times to recover the original Os on the old hard drive and it just kept freezing. So I bought a new hard drive, and plugged the cables into the new hard drive(not sure if that's all you have to do for it to be recognized/installed) but I have that one plugged in at the moment. I tried to use my friends recovery disks(windows Xp)on the new hard drive and I'm getting the same errors and problems that my old hard drive was getting.

4. Moretto1991

Also, sometimes when I reboot the computer after it comes up with the "insert boot disk" error, the computer turns on but the monitor, keyboard, and mouse will not respond/register. the monitor will show "no signal"

5. Moretto1991

I tried switching the boot order, it still doesn't work. Some information on my computer is:
    Hp pavillion e9120y
    Bios revision 5.07
    Cpu type Amd phenmom(tm) II X4 910 processor
    Cache ram (L2) 512kb X4
    Cahce Ram (L3) 6144 Kb
    Sata controller [Enabled]
    Sata 1 controller mode [Raid]

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, then let's run some tests;
    1 Download memtest
    2 Download the hard drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. There is usually a windows version and a dos or boot version. You need the boot version.

Both of these will run from bootable media that you will make using a working system ie the one you are on now. Note you need a burning app like nero, cdburnerxp, etc to make the bootable disks. You do not just copy the file. CDBurnerxp is a free download and is an excellent app. Once you make the bootable disks, restart your system and enter the bios. Set the boot order to CD or optical drive as the first boot device. Save settings and restart with one of the diagnostic disks in the CD drive. Let memtest run for at least 1hr or more. See if it returns any errors. When using the hd diagnostic, do the full or long test of the drive.

BTW attempting to install xp on this system with the sata mode set to raid is going to fail unless you load the raid driver which most likely is not available unless xp was a supported os on this system.

7. Moretto1991

Thanks, I wish I could try that but this computer is old and doesn't have a cd burner.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the system you are using had a usb port, memtest has a ver that runs from a flash drive.

9. Moretto1991

Thanks I'll try that then

10. Moretto1991

Cj, I also posted this problem on a differen't site. They said it could possibly be my windows 7 and that I should reinstall the operating system.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure it can be a windows problem however does it make sense to spend time reinstalling when you have not checked the hardware? Why not make sure your hardware ie drive, ram, etc works then reinstall???

12. Moretto1991

I'm a noob at all this stuff..how do i check if it works? through the memtest?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You test memory with memtest. All you need to do is make either the CD or the flash drive and restart your system. If you have a key to hit for a boot order menu, then all you need to do is hit that key and select whatever device has the memtest app. If you do not have a quick boot option, then enter the bios and set the boot order to CD as first boot device OR the usb/flash drive as the first boot device.

First of all READ your manual as to bios settings and options.

If memtest runs for at least 1hr with no errors, then clean install windows, drivers, updates, etc.

14. Moretto1991

Quick update. I put in my old harddrive and It just loads the starting hp screen with f10(set up f9(Diagnostics) f11(system recovery) etc. and It just freezes/hangs right there and my keyboard either doesn't respond or the computer isn't responding cause it's just sitting on this screen and I'm clicking all the f keys. Does this narrow it down to anything?

15. Moretto1991

Also the yellow disk light on the cpu is on and I don't have any disks in any of the trays lol..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice