1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huge problem...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Beeblebrox, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beeblebrox

Beeblebrox Thread Starter

I have an old 133 Mhz, 32 MB ram computer at home. Graphics are Avance Logic card with 0.5MB of graphics memory. Sound is Mozart sound card (soundblaster clone). Sound works (almost) fine, no worries with that.
    Recently when I have played old games, it has become almost impossible to play Windows games (Windows 95). They start once, but when you return to Windows, colors are weird and no program will start again (except some simple games and dos programs). For example, there is a black square around the Start Icon in the Start Menu button. There is a black square around every icon, actually... Then when I try to start a program, it says program error or something (Finnish operating system, not easy to translate). Then I have to restart the computer to make stuff work. It was only today when I was trying to make a certain game work, that I noticed it says in my Directx Diag that my Directx version is 4.something. I have installed Directx 6 ages ago, maybe even Dx 7. When I try to install them again, it says installation complete. Yet it's still 4.something. I noticed that in the Directx Files section, all files were 4.something versions...
    I just checked from the more modern computer in the house (the one I'm writing on) with Directx 9b also has most files versions 4 or 5 or 6. DxDiag version is 4.09.something...
    That's all I can tell about that problem.
    I also have a Dx problem on the modern computer. I get Ddhelp illegal operation messages when playing older games, and sometimes with new ones as well, for example Desperados runs fine, until suddenly crashes. Worms 2 (oldie...) won't start at all, but throws in the message at the very beginning. It says at the ATI support site this could be fixed by reinstalling the graphics drivers, reinstalling Directx and reinstalling motherboard drivers. I shall do that and see the result... for now, I await your answer for the first problem... hope you can solve it (please, do it in clear, simple english, no nerd language please...)

2. McTimson

McTimson

I would have to go with what ATI said, with reinstalling everything....but with that old of a system, it may be hard to find the latest drivers....

3. Beeblebrox

Right... I haven't yet done the driver updates on the new computer, I'm too afraid to attempt it, have had bad experience of computer getting stuck and stuff... Although it hasn't happened since we got our processor working (previously I had here somewhere a thread about the comp continuously locking up... I thought it was the cause of spyware... a few months later we found the real reason was an overheating CPU, because we had just bought a new one and the old cooler couldn't handle it, we bought a new fan and it's all fine now... But installing drivers back then was hell...)

I fixed the old computer... I remember it has had prolems ever since my sister's boyfriend did some stuff... I checked display properties and found out the idiot had set colors to 24-bit... The 0.5MB graphics card has never been able to handle that much, at least not properly... (I have tried it before) so I set it back to 256 colors and everything's just fine... except Directx still says version 4.something but I don't care as long as games work...

Now I have a new problem with the new computer... This ain't exactly games, but maybe you can answer it...
    This program called Internat.exe has begun ****ing with me... It always comes into the taskbar although I have turned it off from the Startups in msconfig (actually it never was in the startups...)
    When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and shut it off, it's not responding and I have to click end task. I have unchecked the "Enable indicator on taskbar" box in Keyboard properties but it still comes up everytime I start Word or some other programs with languages... The keyboard language is Finnish. I tried to install English, but it didn't solve the problem, it just made it hard to type things like ä, å or ö or ":" ... so I uninstalled it...
    The problem I was trying to fix (which is the problem I need you to solve) is this:
    My Internet browser won't open sites like Google or Altavista, which are the most common pages I visit... I now have to use the www.fi search engine, which totally sucks... And I am very sure that these problems are caused by this Internat thingie cause:
    1) they started when Internat started popping up
    2) Internat appears every time I try to get to those sites...

Could it have something to do with the language support things that have appeared in the Add/Remove programs list? They are something like "*language* menus and dialogs for Internet explorer 6" and they have doxens of languages...
    I don't know what it's about, but am waiting for your answer...

4. McTimson

McTimson

I think you should post that problem in the internet section, they'll be able to help much more. I have a feeling it's some sort of spyware or adware or other such junk that's invading your computer.

5. Beeblebrox

Thanks, I put it there... btw I reinstalled ATI drivers and things worked out just fine... got the games working too... :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice