1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Huge System Hang Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dyaeug, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dyaeug

Dyaeug Thread Starter

When ever I play Half-Life or Wolfenstein my system hangs up. What it does is the screen goes into standby mode, and so does my computer (It looks like its in standby mode). The screen is all black. I emailed Hercules support they think its a bad card... but I don't want to send my card for obvious reasons.. plus I believe that its the software not the card.

So I emailed my motherboard manufacturer telling them its a possible IRQ conflict, but nothing helped (Epox and Hercules support didn't help at all). The reason why I believe this is software because my previous card (Voodoo 3 2000 PCI) did the same problem (while playing under Direct X). So I'm figuring it could be left over drivers from the voodoo 3, or something else.

Another thing that puzzles me is that when I was defragmenting my OS drive and it did the same thing. While all my games are on a seperate drive which is a non-ntfs drive but fat32, I'm wondering if it could be drive conflicts between ntfs and fat32. I seriously don't know what is causing this. It think one thing and it turns out to be something else.

Thank you for your time.. Dave

Also when I had my voodoo 3 2000, i couldn't get back onto my computer for about 2 hours.. while with my new card its only 30 minutes or so..

2. Rockn

Rockn

Turn off all power management in the BIOS and go into control panel and open the power icon and disable it for both the hard drive spindown and the monitor.

3. Dyaeug

Dyaeug Thread Starter

I've tried that.. didn't work.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Post your IRQ listing. Are all your drivers compatible with your current version of DirectX??

5. Dyaeug

Dyaeug Thread Starter

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 11 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 11 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 OK
    IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) OK
    IRQ 11 Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM) OK
    IRQ 11 Macronix MX98715-Based Ethernet Adapter (Generic) #3 OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

IRQ Should be ok.. because im running XP and it uses ACPI

I don't know about the direct x... my drive which runs xp is a Quantum Drive (Bigfoot) which I got in 1997.. 6.4gb

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice