1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hum after closing any application with sound - Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by legacygeek, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. legacygeek

legacygeek Thread Starter

I've had this problem for sometime now. Using Windows 7, anytime I close an application, website, game, etc. that has sound in it (i.e. music) I get a hum from my speakers the same volume as the sound in the app. this will stay on until I launch another app with sound. Example, if I'm playing an AVI using windows media player, and I stop the video berfore the end and close the media player, I will get this "Hummmmmmmmmm" until I relaunch the media player or another application with sound. If I allow the video to playout there is no hum. But If I'm playing a PC game, when I close the game I get the same problem. Tried new drivers to no avail. Please help...

Below is the TSG SysInfo

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 239543 MB, Free - 199041 MB; E: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 43 MB; F: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 40100 MB; G: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 54867 MB; H: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 37263 MB; I: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 63129 MB; J: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 36074 MB; K: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 77734 MB; L: Total - 99999 MB, Free - 97020 MB; M: Total - 153860 MB, Free - 63673 MB; O: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 593862 MB; P: Total - 237392 MB, Free - 141792 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, MCP73VT-PM
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

thanks

2. computer12345

computer12345

Control Panel > Hardware and sound > Underneath sound in small writing click change system sounds > At the top click sounds on the window that opened > You should see something that says 'close program' click that > There should be a drop down list click that and choose 'No sound'. Your problem should be solved. Tell me if you have further problems.

3. pip22

pip22

Assuming it's a desktop PC setup with active speakers powered from an a/c adapter, the buzz could be coming from electrical interference generated by the a/c adapter if it's an "unregulated" type.

4. computer12345

computer12345

So have you tested my idea? Did it make no difference? Was their a instruction that you couldn't follow?

5. computer12345

computer12345

Ignore the post over me I thought pip22 was the one who started the thread

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

See if moving your wires or jiggling the jacks makes any difference, too, in case there is a bad connection or ground somewhere.

7. legacygeek

legacygeek Thread Starter

sorry it took so long to get back with my response. I tried what you said to do "computer12345" but it still does it. It is NOT bad ground or electrical interference. If you let the video run it's natural course to the end the hum does not happen. It only happens if you close a video before it's natural end. It's as if there is some kind of sound interupt that is not happening when you hit the stop button. The hum actually will change pitches in pitch with the sound that was playing at the time you hit stop. i.e if it is a soprano tone, the hum is higher pitched, if it is a bass tone, the hum is a lower pitch, much like it is humming the last note sent to the player, maybe its' not a hum but an annoying "stutter" of the last sound.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice