1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hum from computer audio connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knightmelodic, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knightmelodic

knightmelodic Thread Starter

Running XP. Hand built comp. 15' run to my stereo with a mini jack wire, the f/mini to rca. Gettin a big hum from my speakers any time I try to play audio from my computer.
    Now I have tried 3 different recievers/amps with the same results. My new TV has a mini imput for computer connection. Same result. I'm thinking the run is too long.
    But! If I can get a video card with an hdmi connection, wouldn't that include the digital sound? And since it's digital, the length of the run shouldn't matter, right? Or do I have this all screwed up? Any help would be appreciated.
    Oh, btw, the computers speakers don't hum at all.
    Thanx.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. ryde01

ryde01

listen to the man above and plus a number of things you need to do
    1. make sure the cables or leads your using are good quality oxygen free copper wiring
    2. go to start on xp, all programs, then accessories, entertainment, then volume control, properties, recording and then turn the mic volume down or off.
    3. propertys , playback, line in turn down half way
    that should sort your problem out safe.

4. knightmelodic

Thank you guys. That radio shack iso loop is least expensive, so I'll start there.
    The HDMI is audio and video uncompressed digital signal, so a video/sound card supporting the format would be my next step. I've just no idea where to find one.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    My mistake. :eek: For some reason I had thought I had set up a computer earlier this year with analog audio through the HDMI connector. Forgot that the owner went with running analog audio out of the computer's built-in sound controller and used the HDMI connector (on an MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus controller card) for just the video.

6. knightmelodic

No prob. A lot of video cards have the DVI connection which can easily be adapted to HDMI; it's still only video though. What I find interesting is that you found a card with HDMI connections. How did, or would the audio interface? Or maybe there is a second audio card and some kind of connection to the vid card?

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    That particular video card had an internal header for an S/PDIF input. That particular Dell PC did not have an external or internal S/PDIF output. The only S/PDIF output was on a header in the back of the DVD drive. The computer was going to be in the guy's entertainment center and he said he try running with the 5.1 analog outputs that were built-in. There were no complaints and he never did ask me to find an an audio card with S/PDIF outputs.

8. knightmelodic

Hmm. Interesting. Basically a TOSLINK connection. Which is compressed digital, but he went with the 5.1 analog. Well, different strokes... I just know the HDMI is not suseptable to ground loops. After taking the advice given here, the hum seems to be gone. Keep your fingers crossed...and thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice