1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Humming noise from PSU after installing HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SoulfulGrooves, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoulfulGrooves

SoulfulGrooves Thread Starter

Hoping someone can help me here. I'm getting this slow throbbing humming (hums and goes away repeatedly) noise which appears to be coming from the PSU after installing another Hard Drive on Serial ATA. I have had two hard drives and replaced the second one recently for a new one. (First one still existent with OS). Here are my Computer specs if it helps:

Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 SE i865PE w/ onboard Audio, LAN, SATA, and USB 2.0
    PSU: ATX 450PS
    CPU: Intel Celeron D325 2.53 GHZ - 256 L2 Cace 533 MHz FSB
    RAM: PC3200 512 MB DDR Samsung & Kingston 512 PC300
    1st HD: Samsung 80GB 7200rpm 1m ATA133
    2nd HD: WD 2500KS 250 16 MB SATA II

Heres some pieces of info which may help:

the old HD was fine (no noise) as it was using the old cables but the new HD requires the new Serial Cable which I purchased to put on the mobo. For power its also using the old 4pin power cable. I think I recall the guy at the store mentioning a new power cable available but I can't be certain. If that's the case, is it possible to switch to the new power cable if available and if so, will this solve the issue? If not, what will? Or is it the Hard Drive that's causing the PSU to make the noise ? or because I am using Serial Cable? My old hard drive wasnt making this noise and I was also using the old cables for it. Also, Is there a way to use the old cables on the newer HD's with Serial cables? Would that solve the problem? Or does it have to do with the hard drive?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.... thank you!

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

The new HDD "May" be putting extra impost (Drawing more power) from the PSU.If this is the case you will need to Upgrade your PSU.

On the other hand it may be just a coincidence that you PSU is on the way out.
    Sounds like the Fan Bearings....

Or....Dust on the Fins causing a Fan Imbalance and therefore a wheering noise....

3. SoulfulGrooves

Thanks Sherri,

I understand it could be the new HD. Does it have anything to do with the fact that its connecting using a serial cable as oppsed to the old cable? Is there any way to connect the newer HD's with the old cables?

4. SoulfulGrooves

Also, the noise seems to be more tolerable when I rest it on the carpet as opposed to the tower slot that's built into my desk. I have two questions:

1) Is there any other way I can reduce the noise (ie resting it on top of a foam or rubbert mat of some short)?

2) More imprtantly, will prolonging this damage my PSU?

Thanks!!

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Are you sure it is coming from the PSU and not the Hard drive?

6. SoulfulGrooves

Im quite positive because I don't hear anything coming out of the HD. Although its not very easy to pinpoint the exact location it definitely sounds like its coming from the Power Supply because it's loudest near that area. I can hear it most when I'm resting my ear at the top of the tower where the PSU is or to the enclosed side of the Tower. Its a rather deep noise that I can hear it from the room beside.

Thanks again,

Kat

7. bonk

bonk Banned

If your PSU is going then it is going and one day it will give up.....

If you are quite sure it is coming from the PSU somewhere then I would replace it.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Take the side off the case and try and determine the exact location. It could be a wire touching a fan or something similar.

9. SoulfulGrooves

I've already removed the side off the one side of the case. Its a very slow humming noise that slowly fades and comes back about every 5 seconds or so, consistently.

=(

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Fan bearing?

11. SoulfulGrooves

12. bernardus

bernardus

Seems that the fan is running in a wornout out bearing. The new drive is using more power. The PSU has to work harder and the fan if controlled may be running faster. A worn out bearing has an oscillation vibration that comes and goes. Replace the fan.
    Some hard drives can be noisy, but with the drive holding up seperated from the case you easely can find out if that would be causing noise.

bernardus

13. SoulfulGrooves

Thanks for your reply! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was the fan bearing, would I be able to verify the noise coming from the back of the PC where the fan is? The noise doesn't appear to be most loud there instead its most loud to the side of the power supply (the side where the motherboard lies)

Thank you

14. bonk

bonk Banned

Could be a noisy transformer in the power supply like you get on Poles sometimes

15. SoulfulGrooves

Poles? Please clarify! Maybe I should just replace the power supply..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice