1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Humming noise...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Smurfette, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Hi, I've got a Dell computer and I have had it for just about 6 months. Until last week, when I booted up, you couldn't tell it was even on. But starting last week, it has got like a steady humming noise. It is really annoying and driving me crazy. I wouldn't have thought anything if it had done it from the beginning, but like I said it just started last week. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks, Tammy

2. cheapshot

cheapshot

Can you be more specific? Is it coming from the back of the pc or just when it is booting up? In my experience, the cd drive will do this if a cd is left in or the power supply fan could be loose. Try and tighten all chassis screws visible in the back also.

3. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

All I know is it's coming from the modem. The sound stays on when I boot up until I log off. I don't have a CD in the drive. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Tammy

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Can you say why you think its the modem?

(The modem is just a small card inside the tower box, the tower box holds video, memory, motherboard, Power Supply, Central Processor Unit Hard Disk Drive, CD Drive, Floppy Disk drive and several fans)

Its not uncommon for fans to suddenly get noisy. They need replacing usually, if they stop then your system will overheat and damage can result. Its hard to pick if they have stopped of course as the noise goes away!

5. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Wow, you can tell how stupid I am about computers. I didn't know all of that was in the modem. lol It's a constant noise. It stays the same and it never goes away. If it is the fan, where do you buy them and are they hard to put in?

Thanks for replying, Tammy

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its just occurred to me that you may be referring to an external modem, which is a box about 6" x 8".
    If thats the case then its strange it would be making a constant humming, it may need attention. If its a separate little box from the main computer tower, does the humming stop when you remove the power pack plug?

If my initial guess was right (and you are referring to the "main computer tower case") then its likely a fan, they are not expensive. But if the fan is on the CPU, or in the power supply, then its best done by a computer shop. (My unit here has 10 fans in total). Finding which one it is can be a chore.

7. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

I was referring to the main computer tower case. :) Thank you for your helpful info.

Tammy

8. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hi Tammy

Your post puts a small smile on my face. Only last week I had the same or similiar problem with my Dell computer.

Here are some quick details about my pc:

Dell Dimension 8250
    P4 3.01 GHZ processor
    512K RAM
    Windows XP
    5.1 Surround Sound

.....etc........

The problem I had with this pc was similiar to yours (not sure about the modem though....I use dsl). When I first got the pc it was silent. You hardly knew it was on!

I play mainly one game online.......Unreal Tournament!. About 6 months after I bought the pc (and especially when playing Unreal Tournament) my pc became so loud it was obvious something was wrong! I opened it up and had a look in side. Could not see anything obvious. After sticking my head next to the pc I deduced it was the CPU fan or power unit.

You should still have a warranty with Dell. I paid a little extra to have 3 years next business day on site warranty. After many calls to Dell they arranged to pick my pc up. They replaced the hard disk, the cpu fan and the power unit. Talk about overkill but it worked. My pc is dead silent now!

So, I highly recommend that you contact Dell. You will have to quote your tag number (a sticker on the pc somewhere!) and if you still have warranty they will be able to sort it. It just takes a while!

The humming nosie you referrred to....what exactly did it sound like? My noise sounded like a cd drive spinning at 50.0000000 Miles per hour. Also a knocking noise at times.

Good luck

Pileyrei

9. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

My computer doesn't have a knocking sound at all. It just has a constant humming sound. That's why I think it might just be a fan or something. Yes I still have 2 1/2 years of warranty left. lol How long did Dell keep your computer? I'm so addicted, I don't want to give it up. lol I know I will have to though if they fix it. I was just wondering how long did they keep it? Did it take you long to convince them that something was wrong? I heard sometimes they tell you nothing is wrong. I don't want to take that chance though. I love my Dell though.

Thanks for your reply, Tammy

10. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hi Tammy

I know what you mean, I'm lost without my pc!

I actually recorded the noise on my digital camera that has movie capture capabilities. I placed the file on my desktop and asked Dell to listen to it when they booted up my pc! :D

The person on the other side wanted me to open the case, try this, thry that etc. I played dumb and went along. Eventually I gave up and asked that a real engineer take a look at the pc!

She agreed (she had to!) and arranged for my pc to be collected.
    They took it away two Fridays ago and I got it back the next Thursday. So thats 4/5 working days. I was lost without my pc but it was worth it. My pc is silent now!

I know its a pain but call them and get them to come and get it!
    Unless you are happy to troubleshoot over the phone..........a painful exercise!

Let us know what happens.

Good Luck

Pileyrei

11. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Thank you for answering all my nosy questions. lol I really appreciate it. I will call the Dell people and make them take it away and bring it back when it's quiet. lol

Thanks again, Tammy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice