1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hung app at 50% CPU on Core Duo Machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jscott099, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jscott099

jscott099 Thread Starter

Got a problem on HP dv8000 with Core Duo processor and Windows XP SP2. Can't find anything on this anywhere, any help would be appreciated.

At seemingly random occasions, one of the applications running on the task bar will quit responding and go to exactly 50% CPU utilization but with no I/O or change in memory use, etc. It will stay that way, so I am forced to use Task Manager to End Task.

Immediately after that, if I click on any other application on the Task Bar, it will also then quick responding, goto 50% CPU, no I/O, etc. If I crash this one, the cycle just continues until there is nothing left running. The only choice is to reboot.

Occasionally, Explorer itself becomes the hung app. There seems to be no restriction on the app this may happen to: Firefox, IExplore, Word, Excel, Messenger, Worldtime, Outlook, AIM.

If I attempt to re-start the hung appl after I ended it and before any other app gets hung, it will start then immediately go to 50% CPU, etc.

If I leave the original hung app alone, I can continue working without concern. this problem only happens to one app at a time. However 50% of the machine is being consumed by a hung app is not much use for my processing $$'s.

I've been unable to find any pattern to this problem. Can happen with one app running or 15. On network or off. System logs don't log anything more than me crashing the app. I use ZoneAlarm for firewall and virus. I have scanned for spyware and viruses. Running with most current BIOS and drivers and Windows update.

Thanks for any suggestions. HP tech support didn't have anything useful to add beyond rebooting, pulling out the battery, and stupid things like that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice