1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hurricane Juan

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by pyritechips, Sep 29, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Well, bad news on top of bad.

Hurricane Juan made landfall late last night, Canadian Atlantic time zone. It passed directly over Halifax, crossed Nova Scotia, then across the east end of Prince Edward Island.

Moonmist (Cloe) lives near Halifax.

Sweets1981 (Melissa) lives in east P.E.I.

I was talking to Melissa on the phone last night. About 3 a.m. her time she lost power. Most of Halifax is without power also so we can't sepect to see either of these lovely members online for some time.

I'm wishing them both the best. If I don't hear from Melissa soon I will call to make sure she's ok.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Jim: Cloe's power has been out too. G was posting messages from her! :) Take care! Marlene :)

3. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the update Marlene. If there are other posts on this situation then I have missed them. I haven't been here much this week for obvious reasons. If there is another thread with her posts can you offer a link?

Update from Halifax. This city is the headquarters for the Canadian Hurricane center. They managed to make two flights into the eye of the storm but they have just been ordered to evacuate the building. Sprinkler systems are out; they have no fire protection and their equipment is overheating.

There have been two reported deaths due to the storm. One was a paramedic who died when a large tree was ripped out of the ground and fell on his ambulance.

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Update:

Melissa just called me.

She lives in the country and will be without power for the day. She has done only a preliminary damage assessment. Some shingles were lost. The satellite dish was torn off. She lives on a couple of acres with many trees; many of the larger ones have been ripped out of the ground. Beacuse they are in the country they have a well and pump. Without power they have no water.

One other note: today is P.E.I.'s provincial election. People are being urged to vote and also to stay home.:confused:

5. gws226

gws226

Morning everyone.

I just got off the phone with Cloe. Her & her family are OK. They too are without power. She mentioned that some of her neighbor's houses are damaged, a few trees fell in her back yard, and a ship or two sank in the harbour!!

It also appears that the Canadian Telephone system is directly connected power grid. ie: when power goes out, the telephone goes out as well.

6. Steppinstone

Steppinstone

Sounds very nasty!!! I sure hope everyone makes it through this in good health!
    Take care
    Chari

7. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello and thanks for the update.

The above is not quite accurate. Canada is a huge country with many phone systems. Melissa is without power but her phone is working fine. I don't know what system Cloe is on but most systems here have independant power supply. I've never heard of losing phone service because the phone went out.

8. Gibble

Gibble

That's the understatement of the year, we're beyond huge, we're ginormous :p

And yeah, my phone always works when the power goes out...that would really suck if it didn't work!

9. gws226

gws226

Merely posting what I have been told. Cloe has mentioned several incidents in the past where the phones were affected by the loss of electricity.

When I worked for the telephone company back in the day I found that they have huge deisel engines to run the Central offices as a backup (some of them left over WW2 surplus from the liberty ships) followed with a huge batteries that act as a secondary backup if for whatever reason the diesel generators fail.

I would expect something something similiar out there....

10. KeithKman

KeithKman

Glad to hear everyone is ok! :D

11. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    gws226

Hello and thanks for letting us know Cloe is ok. She may be without power for several days. I know Melissa will be without for most of the week, probably, seeing as how she lives out in the country.

If you can, please tell Cloe that Melissa was really worried about her. Melissa just called me and I told her that Cloe was ok and she was very relieved.

Melissa has to go to work tonight; some of Charlottetown is getting power back. Melissa and her Mom have to go to town to beg for water because their well pump isn't working. Right by her house a large power transformer blew up so it's going to be a while before that and all the lines are fixed.

12. deuce

deuce

Wow...........sounds like it was quite the night. :rolleyes: ;)

Glad to hear everyone is alright. Thanks for the updates.

13. gws226

gws226

I will try to relay the message out to Cloe...

The battery went out on her cell phone and she has no way to recharge. The last we were able to speak was this morning... (around 11am Canada Eastern) she and her family were fine... and the worst of storm was long over...

Im happy to hear that Sweets and her family are OK as well... I checked the weather out there and the sun should be out tomorrow... along with some nice warm weather.... (maybe a day for the beach! ;))

I hope that their blackout is just like the one we had here in NY... All the bars reliezed that their beer was gonna skunk... so they gave it away for free!!! (I've never partied in the middle of street before) quite an expirence!
    George

14. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes deuce, it was quite the night. Apparently there are a few thousand trees littering and blocking the streets of Halifax. These are large century trees, lots of them 3 feet or more in diameter, so getting them cleared will take a while. And Melissa said they even had flying cows!:eek:

Thanks for the update George. It's a shame Cloe's cell is down. I will let Melissa know so she doesn't worry.

15. gws226

gws226

I've got to run.... but I'll post back when I hear from her again.

George

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice