1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hyper-Threading: Enable Or Disable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyuuketsuki, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kyuuketsuki

Kyuuketsuki Thread Starter

Hi,

A friend mentioned to me that Intel's HT CPU's actually work like two half-speed P4 CPU's so my 2.6Ghz HT CPU actually runs (in HT mode) at 1.3. He said if you set it to non HT mode you will actually see some performance gains depending upon the task you are doing.

Firstly, is this true and secondly my motherboard has an enable hyper threading option ... is that what I would change to get supposed benefits?

Thanks

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes thats what you would change. Of course you need at least windows XP to run hyperthreading. If you gain or lose pretty much depends on your applications and the way you run them. If you are a home user you probably won't see much of a difference.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should gain performance by enabling HT if running 2000 or XP.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Sometime HT will cost you performance on some applications (rare) or no change whatso ever.

There are still reports of people getting crashes with HT, especially with gaming.

Your CPU will also need to support HT.

Try it... theres nothing to lose.

5. RSM123

RSM123

What motherboard is this on ? As I understand it on Mobos with the 533 Mhz Front Side Bus only the 3.06 Ghz CPU or above can utilise HT. Only the newer 800 Mhz FSB Mobos permit using HT on CPUs below this limit.

Regarding applications - many reviews state that the full benefits of HT will only materialise when running apps that were specifically written with HT in mind. According to -

http://www.2cpu.com

There are for example only a very few games one I think being Falcon 4, and one fairly recent First Person Shooter that show a noticeable boost in performance.

Most of the positive feedback comes from people multi tasking - burning a cd in the background while playing a game or working with mpegs, etc ....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!