Solved Hyper-V broken

SeanLaurence

Sean
WIndows server 2012-R2 hosting 2 VM's for years now.
Today the host seems fine but the 2 VM's show "saved" in the the Hyper-V manager.
When I try to start them I get:

An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine failed to restore virtual machine state virtual machine(s).
'DC01' failed to restore virtual machine state
Virtual machine 'DC01' could not be started because the hypervisor is not running.

From here:
https://theitbros.com/could-not-start-because-hypervisor-is-not-running/
I found
PS C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-Service vmcompute,vmms
Get-Service : Cannot find any service with service name 'vmcompute'.

+ Get-Service vmcompute,vmms
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (vmcompute:String) [Get-Service], ServiceCommandException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoServiceFoundForGivenName,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetServiceCommand

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Running vmms Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management

Any thoughts?
It seems that the Hyper-V Host Compute Service (vmcompute) service is missing???
How can I re-install it?

1642008647279.png

1642008727359.png

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't know what happened as I'm not familiar with Hyper V. Been meaning to build out a server running Hyper V. With that said, I'd probably do the brute force method of uninstalling the Hyper V role and reinstalling.

To ensure nothing happens with your existing VMs, I would copy the VM files to a different folder on the host OS storage or an external storage device. The VM files can be found here:

c:\program data\microsoft\hyper-v\virtual machines

You should see a couple of folders with a bunch of characters for the folder name. The folders correspond to each VM you've created and the characters for the folder name is the GUID for that VM. The files you are interested in are the XML files which define the details of each VM.

For the actual data/virtual disks for each VM, you're looking for the files in this path:

c:\users\public\documents\hyper-v\virtual disks

The files you're looking for are the VHD and VHDX files.

As an aside, I'd recommend you consider using VMware ESXi. It's free and I feel more robust than Hyper V. It's been around longer than Hyper V. I've been running VMware for years. I've had a few pucker moments where the physical server did not gracefully shut down or the underlying storage array was yanked from the running VM. I've been able to bring the VMs back up each time with no issues.

SeanLaurence

Sean
Found the answer
TL;DR it was a windows update KB5009586 or KB5009624 that was released Jan 11 2022 (yesterday).

Uninstalled KB5009624 and rebooted and all is good again.
A Google search based on some error events revealed the error:

Event 80
Hypervisor launch failed; the operating systems boot loader failed with error 0xc00000BB

https://borncity.com/win/2022/01/12...ar-2022-update-kb5009586-brickt-hyper-v-host/

Thanks for the effort zx10guy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online