1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hyperlink in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TimCutler, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a hyperlink in an Excel spreadsheet pointing to a jpg on my hard drive. ACDSee is my default program to open jpg's but when I click on this hyperlink, the jpg opens in Internet Explorer 7.

Any ideas how I can get the hyperlink to open in ACDSee, please?

Best wishes,

Tim.

2. Sponsor

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

I just tried this - I have IrfanView as my default - but it opened up fine in IrfanView. All I can suggest is you check you check your file associations for all pictures - I think you can do this through ACDSee....

4. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello & many thanks for your reply,

I have jpg's associated with ACDSee but the Excel hyperlink opens in IE7... any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Tim.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

What kind of hyperlink? Can you describe it for us exactly please? What Excel will do is open the file in the default program specified for the recognized file type. Not sure why it is not recognizing your program as a default though. The other side to that is you may want to check your program itself, maybe under an Options somewhere for owned file type associations. You could also try manually setting the file type by right clicking any file of this type and selecting Open With... and setting the file program as the default (although I believe this is doing exactly what slurpee lined out for you above).

HTH

6. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello & thanks for the reply.

You ask what kind of hyperlink - I right clicked the cell I wanted & from the resulting menu I selected Hyperlink. The Insert Hyperlink window opened & I navigated to & selected the jpg file I wanted. The path to the jpg appeared in the cell.

I have tried the above on 2 different computers & although jpg's are associated to open in ACDSee by default, one computer opens them in IE7 & the other computer opens them in Ulead's PhotoImpact.

I hope that with this information youi will be able to help me. Thank you.

Best wishes,

Tim.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

I get the same thing - however, you could make a link to open up your ACDSee program - just I am not sure how you would write the link (if it is possible) to make ACDSee auto-open the jpg file you want.

8. caraewilton

caraewilton

must you use acdsee?
    As Slurpee has already said, this does work if Irfan view is the default viewer.
    Irfan view is free and you can download it. It is not a very big download.

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

So, did you try as I suggested?

10. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello again & many thanks for your replies.

I prefer ACDSee as my default image viewer, however, as a workaround to this problem, I copy the hyperlink then use Windows Key + R, (to open the Run Box), then paste the hyperlink & hit Enter, the image will open in ACDSee.

It's just strange that Excel does not recognise the program that is set as the default.

No worries... it would be nice to resolve it though.

Best wishes to you all.

Tim.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

Odd, but if it works, please use the thread tools at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved. :)
    BTW, firefytr is an invaluable resource here - it would be nice to let him know one way or the other...

13. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Oh I don't mind too much one way or the other, just wanted to make sure the OP saw my reply. :)

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

Aw, I know Zack, you are one of the nice non-heathens up in the NW! (Been reading other threads... ;) )

15. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello again,

Sorry for not replying sooner - I apologise.

I have created a hyperlink to open the ACDSee program which works fine, but I do not know what to put at the end of the link to point ACDSee to open the desired jpg. The hyperlink is "C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\ACDSee.exe". For example, if the jpg is in "C:\Pics" & named "London.jpg" what should the hyperlink be to open London.jpg in the default program of ACDSee, please?

Thanks again for your help - it is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Tim.

16. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

I think I'm lost here. My suggestion was to check your program itself, where sometimes you can set file associations from there. This has been known to cause these types of problems and in these cases it has been a valid solution. Whether or not it will work in your situation I have no idea, that is what you need to try. I would go so far as to contact the company which makes the program and get their input. But as far as Excel goes, it isn't the problem. Excel will use the default application hook in file associations to open the program. The only thing which would make a difference would be the target program itself, or something wrong with the program opening your files. I certainly appreciate your continued responses, but I think the problem lies within your application, not Excel.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice