1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook 2013

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Roadgiant, Feb 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

For some reason Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook 2013 just get the message:- "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you. For more info, please contact your help desk"

This is a private computer

I am on Windows 10 with Outlook 2013 using Chrome as my default browser,after doing a search I found on the MS support suggestions about changing my default browser, which I did (to Edge. Problem was still there.

There is also a suggestion to copy the registry key from a different computer,problem there is even though I have separate laptops they haven't got Windows 10 and Outlook 2013 on. Any suggestions would be appreciated to resolve this (used to work fine until a couple of months ago, many thanks RG

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I recommend copying the instructions below into a text file. Save it, and then change the file extension to .BAT (this is a batch file). Once you do that, double-click on the batch file to run the commands, and this should take care of the issue...

REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.htm /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.shtml /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xht /ve /d htmlfile /f
    REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.xhtml /ve /d htmlfile /f

3. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Thanks, will give it a try on Monday and let you know how I go on RG

4. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Just tried this and all it did was open a command window constantly scrolling,screenshot below
    I created a bat file with the above as a text file with notepad and saved it as a .bat file and double clicked it.
    I just copied the text, could it be a format/space problem with the Bat file?

upload_2019-2-6_9-11-46.png

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Could you attach the batch file so I can look at it, please?

6. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Thanks,wont let me add the batch file here, but what I did was opened a new file with notepad and then saved it as a .bat , then clicked on it
    Just repeated the sequence again using different name 123.txt as attached and saved it as 123.bat with exactly the same result.
    thanks in advance
    RG

Attached Files:

• 123.txt
      File size:
      343 bytes
      Views:
  7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

RG,

I had a look at the text file and that's correct. I even compared it against the original batch file I have, and that's exactly the same. I've tried to replicate the issue you're seeing, but to no avail, so here's what I suggest instead...

Open a command line prompt and the 123.txt file at the same time. Highlight the first command from the 123.txt file and choose Copy. Move the cursor over to the command prompt window and right-click. This should copy the command into the window, so hit Enter after that. You should see the message "The operation completed successfully." If so, repeat the process for the next 4 lines.

This shouldn't require a reboot, so open Outlook 2013 and try clicking on a hyperlink. If it still gives you the same message, reboot the machine, open Outlook 2013 and retry.

8. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Just a quick note to say thanks to Lochlomonder, just followed instructions from last post and now hyperlinks working correctly with no need to reboot.
    Thanks once again
    RG

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome, RG (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice