1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hyperoptic WiFi issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by apyabt, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apyabt

apyabt Thread Starter

Hi all

I've just had 1gb Hyperoptic installed and I'm having issues with the WiFi speeds (my 4g is currently miles faster). I live in a flat with a lot of heavy doors and thick walls to get to where I generally use the signal. Plus the network box that houses the router is next to a fully tiled bathroom which I know can cause huge issues with signal.

I know there are issues with the Hyperoptic Router however I'm concerned that buying an expensive router wouldn't solve the problem due to the layout of the flat. Has anyone experienced something similar? I was wondering if buying a Powerline kit like this would help solve the issue more effectively than a more powerful router? (TP-Link TL-PA9020PKIT 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_asjSBbHYG45RX)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What wireless cards are in use on your devices? They are most likely the culprit, are they capable of the speeds the internet connection is capable off? You can add wireless access points that provide better coverage in the house if signal is weak to the affected devices as well if the cards support beyond 1Gb/s Wireless AC speeds. However if running Ethernet cable is an option it will give you the best results by far, PowerLine will be your second best option in many cases. What are the speeds you get on wired versus wireless? Can you move a device closer to the router and see what speed difference you get? Are you using the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band on your devices? You need to use 5Ghz to get the fastest speeds. Also does the router have a model number on it? Check the sticker.

3. apyabt

apyabt Thread Starter

Mostly talking about connecting mobile devices (Samsung S8, ipad, switch, Lenovo laptop) . Not sure what speeds they are able to process. On 5ghz they're hitting around 400mbs right next to the router. This is dropping to around 150/200mbs in areas that I use it most (approx 5 meters away from the router, although through walls).

This sounds fast, but I was hitting around 300mbs with BT previously. Also, it doesn't actually seem as fast as it is stating - e.g. videos are buffering for ages, pictures aren't loading on websites which wasn't happening previously with BT.

TV, PS4, Xbox One and PC are all plugged in to ethernet and are hitting around 700-900mbs. Seem to be running fine but again, slower than they were with BT even though the speeds are 500+ faster on the tests.

My flat has an inbuilt network cabinet with an 24 port ethernet switch that links to ports around the flat. Could this be used in some way to boost the WiFi?

The router is Tilgin 2381

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can add wireless access points or do a home wireless mesh system for better coverage, stronger or more stable conenctions, and maybe fatser speeds. Google, Netgear, Unifi/Amplifi, and many others make a system that creates a single wireless network for larger homes.

The Tilgin 2381 looks to support 1300Mbps with a 3x3 antenna and radio configuration: https://tilgin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/TILG_HG2380_datasheet_170712.pdf
    If your devices don't have a 3x3 or 4x4 radio configuration then then will be limited in speed no matter what router or access point you install.

HyperOptic says you can expect between 200 and 400 mbps on the 5Ghz Wireless so maybe they have it limited to lower speeds, especially if you say higher speeds with the previous router but they aren't too far from real world results: https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/router/

If your overall performance is worse across all devices I'd be complaining to them and see if that can test your line and adjust any settings to improve it's stability. You can also try changing the wireless channels on router to see if that helps and check to see if the channel width is set to 20, 40, or 80 Mhz in the router.

5. apyabt

apyabt Thread Starter

The mesh systems look pretty expensive. Do these actually replace your router or is it more of a clone router that you can put closer to the area of use? How does that differ from the Powerline option?

How do I check what type of radio configuration devices use?

Yeah, I know that its around what they say you'll get, however it just doesn't feel that fast. I was getting similar speeds with BT and everything worked smoothly and loaded quickly. This just feels slow, with pictures not loading, videos buffering for minutes, etc. I have changed the wifi channel and that has improved things somewhat, but still isn't as fast as it was previously.

Yeah, I might try a few more setting changes on the router and if I don't see any improvement I'll see if they can send an engineer.

Someone else has said it could be because Hyperopic use a CGNAT service for IPs - it's not a static IP and paying for a static IP could help solve the issue. Not sure if this is worth a try.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ideally they do replace the router. Powerline is fine if you have good wiring, but doesn't create the seamless wireless network that a good mesh system can.

You'd have the check the specs of the wireless card.

Good.

Not sure is CGNAT is the issue, I wouldn't think if it was properly implemented that it would give a noticeable performance difference.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice