Hyperthreading help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iMarkeh

Hi there, I am looking to purchase a new computer and I have found a decent one but the processor frequency is too low. It does have hyperthreading though so if I were to enable hyperthreading, would that make up for it?
The processor in question is the Intel I7- 10700 which has 8 x 2.9GHz. The games that I have looked at recommend i7 at 3.6GHz. It probably sounds strange but if hyperthreading was enabled and 2 cores were working on 1 programme, would that essentially be 5.8GHz working on a programme or am I way off there?

Any help is appreciated.

hyperthreading means your CPU will behave as if there are 16 cores, but speed will still be 2.9Ghz per core.
With Intel Turbo it can go up to 4.80 GHz per core.

Additional cores are not the same thing as base frequency, but they do count as having higher speed CPU.
I'm not sure how much though.

iMarkeh

hyperthreading means your CPU will behave as if there are 16 cores, but speed will still be 2.9Ghz per core.
With Intel Turbo it can go up to 4.80 GHz per core.

Additional cores are not the same thing as base frequency, but they do count as having higher speed CPU.
I'm not sure how much though.
Does Intel Turbo ruin the computer though with massively increased power etc?

Would I be better looking for a 3.6GHz computer rather than relying on hyperthreading?

crjdriver

Does Intel Turbo ruin the computer though with massively increased power etc?
No.
Would I be better looking for a 3.6GHz computer rather than relying on hyperthreading?
Yes. If whatever you are attempting to run needs a 3.6gig clockspeed, then that is what you need. Do not try to use something less than minimum spec.
Just for info. A basic definition of Hyperthreading;
Rather than feeding one program at a time into a core, hyper-threading allows multiple programs to load at once. Essentially, each core becomes two processors instead of one. The primary objective of hyper-threading is to increase the number of independent instructions on the “tracks” heading towards the core.

You do not end up with a faster processor. As an example, I am running an AMD 3800X with is an eight core/16 thread processor however it still runs at a speed of 4.4Gig [overclocked from a base of 3.9gig]

iMarkeh

No.

Yes. If whatever you are attempting to run needs a 3.6gig clockspeed, then that is what you need. Do not try to use something less than minimum spec.
Just for info. A basic definition of Hyperthreading;
Rather than feeding one program at a time into a core, hyper-threading allows multiple programs to load at once. Essentially, each core becomes two processors instead of one. The primary objective of hyper-threading is to increase the number of independent instructions on the “tracks” heading towards the core.

You do not end up with a faster processor. As an example, I am running an AMD 3800X with is an eight core/16 thread processor however it still runs at a speed of 4.4Gig [overclocked from a base of 3.9gig]
My question is then, if the processor can be ran at 3.6GHz, why would it be advertised much lower? there must be some downside there for them to state the lower figure.

crjdriver

That is turbo speed and is predicated on a number of things; temp, load, number of cores being boosted, etc. Turbo speed is NOT intended for continuous use. It is more for use when the system needs an extra boost in performance.
Again IF you need a 3.6gig processor, get one. Do not think you are going to get by with something below spec.
Are you sure whatever software you are intending on running really needs an i7 3.6gig processor? I would do some investigating into exactly what is required.

Last edited:

iMarkeh

That is turbo speed and is predicated on a number of things; temp, load, number of cores being boosted, etc. Turbo speed is NOT intended for continuous use. It is more for use when the system needs an extra boost in performance.
Again IF you need a 3.6gig processor, get one. Do not think you are going to get by with something below spec.
Are you sure whatever software you are intending on running really needs an i7 3.6gig processor? I would do some investigating into exactly what is required.
Thank you for the further explanation.

TrainSimWorld says recommended requirements are I7-4790 @ 3.6GHz

crjdriver

That is a very old processor; over 6yr old. I would think any modern i7 would be fine along with any ryzen 7 or 9.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts