1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hyperx Fury 8gb 1600 running at 1333

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dalton7821, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dalton7821

Dalton7821 Thread Starter

I have a Gigabyte 970a-ds3p MB and just to get it going I stuck in a phenom ii x4 955 (the 95w tdp) and a 8gb hyperx fury 1600. Cpu-z shows it running 1333 (actually 1339). I have looked every where and similar problems show changes in BIOS, most to enable XMP. Hyperx fury doesn't use profiles and it is automatic set. The BIOS registers it as a 1600 stick but not real time speed. I thought it might be a limitation of the CPU but many people have posted phenom ii 955 with ram at 1600 stable. I haven't tinkered with BIOS, I was familiar with some AM+ BIOS and they were delicate so I didn't want to go stomping around in this one even though I've heard they are forgiving. Any one familiar with this want to give me some suggestions? The BIOS version is FD.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard (rev. 1.0)
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard (rev. 2.x)
    Both revisions of that motherboard support up to 32 GB(8 GB X 4) of DDR3 RAM.

You didn't say if one or more other modules were already in that motherboard before you added that HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3-1600 module.
    Is that 8 GB module the only one in that motherboard?

I'm not a hardware expert, so my input here is very limited.
    Be patient until one who is replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Dalton7821

Just the one module I will have an FX8350 and a 16gb crucial kit (8x2) in a month but this loose end is bothering me and might help me get familiar with the BIOS. I am pretty sure it is a setting in the BIOS as everything is set on auto right now. The board is Rev 2.1.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have to set the speed manually in the bios. It is on page 18 of the online manual.
    BTW this is normal for ddr3 memory.

5. Dalton7821

Well, in bios under auto, speed was listed as 1600mhz but I changed the multiplier to 8 (also listed at 1600mhz) and rebooted, but it didn't boot. I got a dialogue box that said CPU speed 0.0mhz , BCLK 201.1mhz, memory speed 1340mhz. Moved it back to auto and it booted except still at 1333mhz. I think it might be the processor limiting it. There are 2 versions of the 955 a 125w and mine is 95w.

6. Epthree

Epthree

If you are upgrading in the near future is it worth the headache trying to resolve this now as you will barely notice a difference between 1333 and 1600? (You probably won't notice any difference what-so-ever)

However, it may be a problem with Gigabyte motherboards as even with XMP enabled my Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz ram doesn't actually run that fast.

7. Dalton7821

No, it's been running like this for a week. Just one of those things that pops up in down time and thought I would take another stab at it. I'm inclined to think it's the processor but it will remain a theory until I get the FX and put it in. If it runs it at 1333 after the upgrade I might contact Kingston about a replacement. I am putting a kit in and not sure if I want to stick this one in the other channel or not, 16gb is more than enough for me.

8. Epthree

Epthree

That makes sense, I also investigate minor issues when I have nothing to do just for fun, but in my case with my ram and Gigabyte motherboard I had to settle for 2133mhz even though it's rated to 3000mhz as it isn't worth the time trying to sort it out as the performance gains are minimal.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have to set all of the timings manually as well as the speed. Some ram is much more sensitive to having the timing set that other ram. I have one system here [gskill ram] that would not overclock at all until the ram timings were set manually in the bios. Now it overclocks very well. Another system with patriot memory does not care what it is set at; it overclocks well at auto timing.
    Note the am3 cpus are generally support just 1333 ram however most high end motherboards will run the ram at 1600 provided you set the bios correctly.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!