1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hyundai W240D non-display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onetruecharlatan, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onetruecharlatan

onetruecharlatan Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Hyundai W240D, (approx 3 years old now), and up until recently, it worked perfectly. Suddenly, without any warning of failure, it just stopped working. By that I mean the power light came on in the OFF mode, (red LED), and refused to budge from that state. This was on the DVI connector to the PC.

This is what happens:

1. Power on
    2. Screen lights up for a second
    3. Screen goes back to black
    4. Remains in this state

I have today connected a PS3 on the HDMI port in the hope it might automatically switch over, but to no avail.

Without the OSD being visible, you can imagine it's difficult to know where you are in the menu, in the vain hope of getting to the HDMI part of the display menu. So I just kept pressing the buttons as a stab in the dark at hitting the right place.

The above method proved somewhat useful in that now, the monitor is showing a BLUE LED, so something has happened. Still no OSD, still unable to test if the HDMI port is ok, still no way of knowing whether or not the screen is "good".

The manual is useless as it just tells you "about" the W240D with no troubleshooting guide.

Does anyone know of a factory default button press combination that might get me to a point in the "non displayed" OSD where I can press SELECT, then the ^ or v buttons to select HDMI input?

I know this is a long shot and probably doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.

I had an LG 19" LCD a few years back that showed a similar problem to this. Turned out that it was a common problem, in that a transistor that controlled the backlight was prone to "blooming" and as a consequence, shorting out, thus rendering the backlight dead. A micro engineers soldering iron and a £1 replacement transistor from Maplin sorted it out. So I'm now wondering if this might be the same issue?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed as this was a lovely screen when it was working and I don't really want to just give up on it if possible.

Thanks in advance, OTC.

2. Megabite

Megabite

I assume you have test the PC with another Monitor to confirm it is the Monitor problem

3. onetruecharlatan

Hi Megabite,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should've mentioned that :D. I have since purchased a Dell U2410, on exactly the same rig and this performs admirably. However, the W240D has a VERY glossy screen and the GF :eek: loves it over the Dells somewhat sombre yet superb image display.

I tried the brightest light I could find shining against the black screen but I couldn't see anything lying in the darkness. I'm still guessing it's the inverter board that's at fault. I've just read that holding an oscilloscope near to the inverter should give a reading of 58hz if it's "ok". Im not sure if this can be replicated with a multi meter???

To this point, w/o the serial number of the board to hand, anyone happen to know what it is for the inverter board for this monitor or if there is a generic board that will do the job? ;)

Thanks in advance, OTC.

4. Rothko42

Rothko42

By the looks of it I am having exactly the same problem with this monitor. So am also very interested in finding a solution.

When plugging in a signal (in this case vga, but have tried with hdmi with the same results,)

-The light goes from red to blue, (indicating its receiving the signal).
    -The signal's image flashes up on the screen for a second.
    -The screen goes blank, with the blue light still on.

I have a second of these monitors and it behaves completely differently, (as this one used to). eg diplaying a blue screen when there's no available signal, allowing you to access the menus. Whereas with this one the only thing the screen ever displays is a flash of a signal as soon as its plugged in.

5. onetruecharlatan

I've left the W240D at the GF's and won't be taking it apart until after the xmas period. I have since found out that the inverter is a Samsung part and has been superseded by a new part #. at the time of writing this, I have yet to find a UK supplier of the new part #, and have had no response from the Dutch supplier re: price and shipping to the UK. I'll let you know if I manage to get it up and running.

OTC.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice