1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i am an idiot and i need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gilescarson, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gilescarson

gilescarson Thread Starter

i recently decided to format my hard drive. Being the Jack *** that i am, When it would not let me format, i decided to delete every thing on it myself. I backed everthing that i "thought" that i needed on my ipod and proceded to delete everything. I rebooted and to my surprise, it asked me for somthing to boot up from. I found my drivers disk, only to find that it had been shattered into a thousand tiny peices. i downloaded a new one from the internet and, it seems to do nothing.

there seems to be no end to my stupididy

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to boot up from your Windows 2000/XP CD. Put the CD in the drive and reboot and it should ask to start off it. If it doesn't start off the CD then you need to enter the BIOS setup using F2 or DEL and change the boot order/sequence. Change the boot order so that the CD drive is in the boot sequence and precedes the hard drive and floppy. Save and exit and then try booting off the CD again.

3. gilescarson

now when i boot up it goes into GRUB. What is grub? and what can i do with it?

By the way it says a list of things i can do, but all of thm bring up an error report

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    GRUB is a boot loader commonly used for Linux. How was your computer setup to begin with and what operating systems do you wish to install or have on your computer?

5. gilescarson

i have now dis covered that when i type in "boot" is tells me i need to load kernal first. when I type in load kernal it has an error report.

thank you soo much for helping me though

6. gilescarson

i have xp pro and red hat

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And do you want to keep running both? Which partition/drive did you reformat?

Do you have CD's for both operating systems? You will also need to the license number for XP if it comes to reinstalling it.

8. gilescarson

i used partion magic. i have the xp cd and number, but i dont have the linix one. My main conern right now is just to get it running, so getting linix isnt a problem

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Download Killdisk and use it to wipe the drive completely.
    http://www.killdisk.com/

Then boot off the Windows XP CD and create the partition, format it, and install Windows. The Windows XP CD will do all of that for you just follow the screens.

If you have Partition Magic then you can later create another partition to for Linux or use Linux to resize the existing partition if and when you choose to reinstall it.

Windows installation guides:
    http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

10. gilescarson

hey thanks a ton

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!