1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am at my wits end!! Motherboard / graphics card issue results in no boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prosequimur, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prosequimur

Prosequimur Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the dramatic title but this problem really is actually making me go a little mad.

My system had intermittent issues where it wouldn't load, about a year ago. Sometimes it would post, sometimes it wouldn't. Then, after a while, it stopped posting at all. What would happen is the graphics card fans would spin to maximum speed, and I would get one long beep followed by three short ones - no VGA detected. I assumed it was my graphics card and returned it. After an extremely long and unnecessary replacement procedure, I got a new graphics card, which worked for a while before the same problem occurred - it stopped booting at all, just giving me the "No VGA Detected" beep sequence.

So, I thought it must be the motherboard. I returned it and sure enough the test result said that there were problems posting. I have now received the replacement AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!

I do not have another system I can use for parts but I was able to check it with a basic PCI-e card from a friendly computer repair shop and that DID work.

So that indicates it's the graphics card.

But if it's the graphics card, why did the system work for a while (about 3 weeks) before starting to fail to boot? I never saw any artifacts or anything on screen. Furthermore, if the graphic card is the problem, why did the motherboard come up with a fault?

I am thinking I'm cursed. The motherboard comes up faulty - but then the new motherboard won't load with my graphics card, itself a replacement. What is the problem here? I have ordered a new graphics card (#3) and will return the current one (#2) if it does work...but what could be causing the issue in the first place? It's a new mobo, and a card that worked for a while - it seems that it would be fantastically bad luck to have two graphics cards which both break over time AND a defective motherboard.

I'm lost. Any thoughts, anyone, please - I am desperate.

Asus P6T Deluxe v2
    Intel Core i7 920
    3x 2GB Corsair DDR3
    Corsair 750W PSU
    Sapphire Radeon HD5850 (prior to that, NVidia GTX 265)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice