1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am back - still need help, are u still around dckeks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EagleClaw92, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EagleClaw92

EagleClaw92 Thread Starter

I was getting quite a bit of help from you & then one of my serious health issues flared up & that is why I've been gone from here for so long. U had been helping me with several issues. The one that is the most important to me now is this.

Remember - I moved into a condo building where your internet & TV were included in your monthly fees (which are pretty hefty). Where I used to live I had Comcast cable T.V. & cable Internet. But here I have Wi-Fi computer & direct T.V. I think its called. And not only is it direct T.V. It is Mount Vernon Towers (name of condos where I live) version of Direct T.V.

So everybody in the condos (300 of them) has to take the same version of Direct TV. So if I want to watch a Pay-Per-View high end boxing show - I can't. Because I don't have an individual account number - The Condo just has 1 account number for everybody who took direct TV. And you can't add or subtract channels either, & no on-demand, no movie library, u have to take what they have. They even give u a remote that just works for the direct TV in these condo's & a sheet telling u what channel to go to as opposed to the regular direct TV channel.

Now, u can opt-out, but you will still have to pay the same monthly condo fees plus however much it would cost you to get Comcast cable for TV & Internet which is a lot because that is what I used to have & I had all the on-demand stuff, plus watch shows whenever u wanted to plus a library of 1,000's of movies u had to pay a little extra to watch when u wanted plus many other things this place doesn't have. Plus I could order PPV boxing whenever I wanted to just with my remote.

OK - u were telling me I could hook up my T.V. to the internet to get Netflix which would give me a lot more to watch & I could just get billed by Netflix which would be a lot cheaper than the Comcast set-up I used to have & nobody even has to come out here to hook anything up I think. I mean I used to pay Comcast cable around $275 a month for what I had. If I can just add Netflix to what I already have here - that's pretty cheap - right?

I'm just worried that cause I have to go thru their version of direct TV, there will be problems. Anyway, I think it is called direct TV (it is the kind where when its very cloudy - the TV keeps cutting out). I'm just sorta worried how I would control NETFLIX TV with their control over things. But maybe I just use the remote that came with the TV. And I do know the TV can be hooked up to the net because I think that it was checked before (its a 2017 Samsung model).

OK - sorry this was so long - but I had to put this info in because I forgot how this was worded before & I don't think I asked u how to actually hook my TV up to the internet using my computer - I'm not even sure now that is how u do it.

So the bottom line to this is - can I do this Netflix thing & if so - how do I do it.

THANKS TO ANYBODY WHO MIGHT HELP ME WITH THIS. I MENTIONED U dckeks BECAUSE U HELPED ME SO MUCH BEFORE.

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I just saw this post. I am getting off for the night but will look at and reply in next day or two.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So it seems that the condos have a special set up to provide you with the internet/tv services, similar to ones you find in hotels. I assume you have a small box to control the TV channels? (nowadays, you require a box, even if it's basic cable TV) If not, then I would assume that there is a cord from the wall direct to the TV?

Netflix can be provided to you through a few ways, from a gaming console, from the tv provider (my Cox box has that option), or from a SmartTV. SmartTVs will have 'apps' like Netflix, Hulu, and music channels like Pandora.

My concern is that Netflix requires a decent internet connection to stream the shows to your TV, especially since the service is provided by the condo, it may be limited to prevent too much usage. But having said that, you would need to connect your TV to the internet somehow.

I see that dckeks was helping you to get the wireless internet information. Did you ever get that information? If so then we will need to use that information to connect your TV to the wireless connection.

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you still have the password written down from when we found it before? That is the first step if not.

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Yes you can simply use your TV remote to control Netflix so this will not be an issue.

6. EagleClaw92

OK - I do have a box for the TV. And YES - I HAVE A SMART TV. I had a modem for my computer where I used to live - Not now, I think because my computer is Wi-Fi now.

I really do not like the TV or computer set-up I have now as opposed to what I had b4. The computer automatically keeps running updates that will fail at the end - this wastes hours. I have spent so much time on this - I have read that the version of Windows 10 I have is set up to do that.

If I'm using the computer - I get a dialog box that comes up & gives me the choice to do the update right then or wait an hour. And when it finishes this - it will always fail - then I have to reinstall my previous Windows 10 again every time. Anyway - I know there is only one solution for that & it seems ridiculous to me.

To the TV - I clicked on a channel for the 1st time the other day & it was channel 600 on the guide for the Mount Vernon Towers Version of Direct TV. But I guess the condo folks didn't "buy" this channel....I didn't get it. And it came up at the same area of the TV it was like channel 721 I wasn't getting.

So like I mentioned - if I had my own version of Direct TV - it would have been channel 721 - but the Mount Vernon Towers account (which everyone here all have unless they opted out & got their own account) list the channel as 600.

The bottom line is - I need to stay with their version because my condo monthly fee's cover it - but I need more content. I have almost nothing the way it is here. And I thought people now got stuff like NETFLIX or AMAZON TV which gives them a lot of content - hopefully on demand - & a big library of movies u could watch for a small fee.

So I would just pay for the NETFLIX outside the condo fees which I don't think u need a company to come out here to set up. I just have to hook my TV to the net....however u do that. And I thought NETFLIX might cost me $20 bucks a month plus small fees to watch movies - and they would mail me a bill once a month.

I used to pay Comcast around $275 a month for TV & Internet, they were both cable and they both worked a lot better than what I have here. And I had - don't know if this is a good analogy - but I had a galaxy of TV content b4 & now I have Earth's moon of content.

I know the TV I now have has the ability to hook to almost anything - like I mentioned - its a good 2017 Samsung.

The TV set up here seems ancient. There is no ON DEMAND - no movie LIBRARY (so they play the same movies every day it seems over & over). If u miss a show - too bad, u will just have to wait to see if it comes back. No PPV combat sports.

dckeks - I did write the password down somewhere, but I don't remember right now - had a rough spell lately. By the way, thanks for coming back.

I guess I could buy a DVD player and get that hooked up to the TV & rent movies from NETFLIX, right? I mean, even with the ridiculous way this is set up here - I think I could still do that.

I'M REALLY JUST LOOKING TO HAVE A LOT MORE CONTENT TO WATCH - AND HOPEFULLY BE ABLE TO WATCH IT WHEN i WANT.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES - IF U NEED MORE INFO FROM ME - JUST LET ME KNOW. I JUST WANT TO DEAL WITH THE TV ISSUE NOW - THE COMPUTER STUFF CAN WAIT.

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Sure no problem. I am happy to try and help. I am glad to hear you are doing better.

No need to repeat all your information I still have your other post with everything and I can help you get this setup.

Again the first step is to get your wifi password again and write it down but Do Not post it here.

To get your password follow these steps.
    1. Click on Start menu
    2. Type command to start searching
    3. Right click on Command Prompt and select to Run As Administrator
    4. Copy and Paste the following into Command Prompt
    netsh wlan show profile MVTResident key=clear

5. This will show your wireless key (password) as shown below in RED under the Security settings section on the output. Write this down. DO NOT post the key (password) here. It is only for your use.

Security settings
    -----------------
    Authentication : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher : CCMP
    Authentication : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher : GCMP
    Security key : Present
    Key Content : PASSWORD

8. EagleClaw92

OK - Thanks dckeks. I've got it.

ACTUALLY - THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE READ IN THIS REPLY IS THE RED & BLUE TYPE.

Oops - this is an edit. I just noticed this & don't know if its important. When I looked line by line at the Security settings u gave to me. Across from Cipher mine said Unknown which isn't what you wrote - but maybe that one isn't supposed to be the same?

Actually - the 1st Cipher I have is the same. It's the 2nd one that is different.

As an aside - this computer runs so slow - & I'm still having the updates problems. I called Microsoft tech support to see if they could help with those things. I was on the phone for 3 and 1/2 hours the other night with 2 different reps. The 1st guy gave up after about an hour because the remote link wasn't working. And I got a dialog box that came up with a very generic statement that basically said that the link up wasn't working for some reason & try again later. No error code or anything.

Then he said - if I can't get control of your computer - I won't be able to help. U need to take your computer to a place that repairs Microsoft stuff. I did see something (it was a tiny box), and I said, could that possibly help & he said no.

After we were done, I thought to just put my cursor on that box to c if anything would come up & some info did. So I called back (I had a case # now) & went thru all the robotic ?'s & got a girl & I explained to her that I had been online Friday and tried the deal where it says u will be online with virtual support - but it really isn't, so I set up the deal where they would call me the next day at 6:eek:o PM & I had a case # & had already talked to that person so please don't put me in the queue (did u know this is the only word with 4 vowels in a row) where I will listen to ads & music for who knows how long & she was very nice & stayed on the phone with me until she could connect me to a tech support rep.

So we were able to do the link - but after 2 and 1/2 hours he said his boss told him he had to get to another customer & that he would call me back Tuesday night at 6:00 PM.
    H wasn't able to fix the update problem or the slowness problem....LOL.

Anyway - I don't even know why I put that part in except to maybe think/say......update problem - mission impossible.

Anyway - like I said, I want to work only on the problem of Netflix/more TV content now. I got the Password & I'm not going to type it in, but there is 1 word among the numbers and letters that refers to where I live now & like I know I've already said many times - it seems that anything to do with TV's and computers in this complex seems to involve the IT guys here - and not the actual companies, which is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
  9. EagleClaw92

I forgot another thing I meant to ask. When the guy gave me the used computer I have now (he got a new one so he gave me this one) which is a Desktop Gateway Model #DX4860 with Windows 10 Home as the Operating System......he told me that I now had Windows Defender which would protect my computer from being hacked, getting Malware, getting a virus, & that kind of stuff.

I used to pay Norton/Symantec about $80 a year to do that. Now when I talked to the guy at the Microsoft Technical Support Center about a different problem.....he asked me what I had for my computer security & I told him I had Windows defender like the other guy told me was good.

Now the Microsoft Rep told me the other guy was wrong & I had to buy a 3rd party protection program like Norton again. Well, I've just had Defender on his computer for like the 1 and 1/2 years I've had it so far & nothing like the stuff I mentioned b4 has happened to my computer.....yet. Why is all this stuff so confusing????

So dckeks - is DEFENDER OK or do I have to buy a 3rd party program again like NORTON/SYMANTEC??? THANKS ONCE MORE for helping me try to get this computer situated so I can just get back to using it.

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I have been out of town and will touch base tom.

11. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Are you saying this word is part of the password? If so that is fine.

We will work on trying to get your TV connected to your wifi network first and then setup Netflix. Next we can look at your slow computer so more but lets do one thing at a time.

Yes, you only need Windows Defender which will offer you the best performance and protection.

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Your wifi network name is MVTResident. Write this down on same note as your wifi password.

Now you have both your wifi network name and password. This will allow you to setup wifi on your tv so you can get Netflix.

Do you still have the manual from the following link? If not please download.
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201801/20180123102314699/ENG_US_KTMATSCL-3.0.8.pdf

Follow these steps to setup your Wifi connection on your TV. Let me know if you have any questions or you get this working.

Page 1 - Make sure your TV remote is working with your tv?

Page 11 - Provides the details on Setting up your Wireless connection. Enter the wifi name and password that you wrote down.

Check the network status.

Next Step is to Sign up for a Netflix account
    https://www.netflix.com/signup

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Here is a video that shows the process of connecting to your wifi network on your tv.

14. EagleClaw92

I think & hope I've made this clear in the past - but I want to mention it one last time about the condo's here. I'm not worried about u understanding this.....I'm just worried I didn't describe this in enough detail.

So I have Direct TV here - but not regular Direct TV. I was given a couple sheets of paper when I moved in here that showed for instance what channel # u use for ESPN....it tells u that the direct TV channel here is 206 for ESPN, but if I used Direct TV in a house I bought, ESPN would be some other channel.

At the top of the "Guide" screen, upper right - there is an icon for Direct TV & also one for Mount Vernon Towers and the time and date is shown there too. OK - that's the last time I will mention that & I'm 99% what I just typed was a waste of time.

OK - well, my TV remote (the 1 that came with the TV) must be hooked up to the TV as well as the remote that they gave me - because I have to use it to set the timer on the TV for it to shut off after a certain length of time.

I downloaded what u mentioned and looked at page #1 and page #11. So are u telling me that I don't need to study page #1 anymore right now because I know my TV remote is hooked to my TV because of what I just wrote in the last paragraph.

I also looked at page #11 - but are u telling me that if I also watched the short video u also sent (and I've watched it) - I don't really need to look at page #11 anymore right now.

I know this reply must sound like PC's for tots in nursery school - but just to make sure......My TV remote must be working with the TV or I couldn't use it to set the timer.....and.....if I just do what the video tells me to do....I'll be ready to click on the link on Setting up the Netflix account?

Lastly - I mentioned that when I saw the lines under "Security Settings" - I know that I don't mention the password I have there, but in regards to SECURITY SETTINGS....in your example, u have Cipher :CCMP. Then under Security settings there is another line with the word Cipher :GCMP

When I did as instructed there, the 1st line with Cipher :CCMP (that's the same as yours), but when it comes up the second time on yours, it is :GCMP & when it comes up the 2nd time on mine, it isn't :GCMP, it is :Unknown.

I'm guessing all that typing about Cipher was a waste of time or u would have mentioned something.
    NOW THAT I'M DONE TYPING ALL THIS......after reading what I wrote, I'm guessing I could have just replied.....OK - followed your instructions.....clicked on the Setting Netflix Up Link - and taken it from there, is that right?

If that is right - just let me know - I'll do what u instructed & I'll open the Netflix account link - & if I have any questions with that (which I probably will, I'll send them). My Mom used to mention someone as having "the patience of Job" & I'm sure she would say that about u assisting me with this stuff.

THANKS AGAIN

15. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    It looks like my last post did not go through. The only thing you need to do next is to follow the steps to connect your TV to the wifi network by following the steps in the manual or the video. If you get this far then sign up for the Netflix account is the next step. Let me know if this all works or other questions.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice