1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am getting a new computer,what is xps?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by momrun05, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momrun05

momrun05 Thread Starter

OK, maybe I need to take my experience level down to computer illiterate again, NO PROB.
    I'm getting a new computer...well I WAS.
    I can only buy from Dell(credit).All I want is a system to browse on, I take A LOT of family photos and video a lot, I put tribute videos together for the fallen soldiers in Iraq(on my own, not at the request of anyone) I pay bills, and work on geneology and listen to my Itunes. That's it. The putting together the Iraq soldiers thing is my thing now.I'm really passionate about it. I gather pics and info and post it on ITunes.Can't do it now cause my computer freezes up for HOURS. I just don't have the time to keep up with IT anymore(I wasn't that good at it anyhow).
    My ole girl here is freezing up on me. Too much and it's frustrating. I don't know why.
    I don't know what XPS is. Sorry, I just don't. The kids(5)keep me too busy, now.
    My question is: What desktop should I buy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In fact, if you could point me to a website that informs old ladies on current computers that would be GREAT.

Peace
    D

2. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

XPS is a multimedia and gaming enhanced PC made by Dell. It is good if you are into gaming and some higher end graphics stuff I think.

I would just go with something more basic if you are just using it to store files, such as pictures, music, and videos.

3. momrun05

momrun05 Thread Starter

See, Dell's website doesn't make it that easy. What does a basic system include for lots of media. I don't do gaming.
    thanks by the way for replying!
    D

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here's and XPS 410 configured with everything you need for $1,018.

The only add on's that were not included in the base price are the items preceded by an asterisk *. These were; 3 1/2" floppy drive, serial & PS2 ports and Microsoft Works Suite with Word. Everything else is included in the base price. This configuration doesn't include a bunch of Dell junk you don't need.

This is one of the machines Dell still offers with Windows XP. Dell makes this page hard for you to find on purpose. They want to sell you a machine with Vista and all the extra junk they can pack on it.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/winxp_inspn?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

My Components
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E4300 (2MB L2 Cache,1.8GHz,800FSB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition with re-installation CD
    MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
    HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    MONITORS 19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    VIDEO CARD 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
    SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

My Accessories
    SPEAKERS Dell AS501PA 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for Analog Flat Panels
    KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard
    MOUSE Dell Optical USB Mouse
    * FLOPPY 3.5 in Floppy Drive
    MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
    * OPTIONAL PORTS Serial & PS-2 PCI Adapter

My Software
    * PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft® Works Suite 2006 -Includes MS WORD 2002,Encarta 2006 + more
    eANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months

My Service
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day
    DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Free 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year
    DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
    Labels Windows XP™

5. momrun05

momrun05 Thread Starter

Thank YOU....Dena

6. Jscuzza

Jscuzza

IMO that is really overkill for what you are trying to do.. You only need a simple system from Dell do browse the internet, store pictures, and watch videos. And something that can do that from Dell would cost 1/2 as much.

7. cfhpantera

cfhpantera

Don't buy an XPS system, it is too much for your basic needs. I would just get a default Inspiron 531. Dell still preloads a lot of crapware on their computers though even though they are getting better the amount of preloaded software is still unacceptable. So once you get it go on a uninstall spree and then go into msconfig and untick everything under the startup tab. If you don't your new computer will be sluggish.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I recommended the XPS410 system for Dena for one reason, the reason being it was the least expensive system offered by Dell available with Windows XP Home.

Since here computer icon indicated that she was presently using XP Home I doubted that she would want to go through the trials and tribulations of switching to Vista.

Since her experience level was listed as beginner it is much easier to continue using an operating system that you are familiar with rather than trying to learn a new system, which at this time still has numerous problems.

In a year or so Vista will be a good system after the "bugs" are worked out. Until that time I will still build with, and recommend XP.

If you don't believe that there are still problems with Vista, just visit the Windows Vista forum on this website and read some of the threads.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice