1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am getting that new computer this month...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axeman61, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

And I apologize if my questions sound a bit 'noobish' or whatever, but my cousin did most of the work in ordering and sorting the computer. My mom just paid the money. It's a dell, and from the order verification, it's looking nice. I need other opinions though, and the order looks really funny when I copy it to here.

SO...

1.) The computer has 40 GB of space. That's great coming up from just 4 GB, but how much will the system portion of the drive need this time around (The unspoken plan is the split the drive 3 ways)? I do a lot of p2p downloading, and sometimes I get messages that the system drive is running out of data or whatever. This computer is bound to have some programs or whatever that take up space in addition to what the system needs, but maybe I can partition the system accordingly. To help, the only things I really plan to do with the computer is watch movies, maybe burn CDs, surf the net, and listen to music.

2.) What is Dell Media experience? I could find this out on my own, but the hidden question here is whether or not it's a waste of space.

3.)CD or DVD Drive

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability Is that good? I'm a little iffy on something that can 'do it all' because if it gets broken...

4.)Network Interface-Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet I have SBC/Yahoo DSL, and the modem uses a card that came with the package. Can I plug the same modem into a different card as long as it's Ethernet?

5.) How much better is WinXP than 98? Okay, here comes a related, hidden question: How much virus protection will I need this time around? Currently, I have AVG anti-virus, but I fear that may not be enough.

6.) Since we're on things that I plan to transfer from one drive to another, could someone tell me how to do it? I know I hook my old drive up as a slave in the new tower, but is there anything I should do on the computer now (like organizing) to make the transition easier?

7.) For printing purposes, I'm getting a... Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 922. Is this good?

There should be more questions when I get the computer, but I think this is it for now. Thanks in advance for answers.

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

1) What are you going to use to partition the drive?
    2) 40 will seem small if you do a lot of downloading, otherwise it will be fine
    3) The CD/DVD drive will be OK, but I prefer 2 drives, it makes duplicating disks easier
    4) A 10/100 NIC is a 10/100 NIC. Doesn't matter who makes them.
    5) Xp is MUCH More stable than 98, just keep it up-to-date. The AVG antivirus will be fine, just make sure to get the new version.
    6) Dell Printer Reviews:
    Review 1
    Review 2

3. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

What model Dell

??

Ceri

4. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

It says Dimension 4700.

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

I have the same machine.

Only some small concerns.

You only have one IDE channel for IDE devices such as hard disks or optical drives.

You can fit an additional SATA hard drive very easily though.

The floppy disk drive from Dell is expensive. I brought an external USB floppy disk drive for about half of what Dell wanted for an internal floppy disk drive.

PCI slots are not that abundant. I took the modem immediately out, as I have ADSL, I have it somewhere. With on board NIC & sound PCI slots are all free.

On board graphics will use system memory. The Dell OEM PCIx card is very good. You have no AGP as PCI Xpress is faster.

Possibly should have gone for XP Pro instead of home.

No real problems so far in around 4 months of heavy use. I've kept clear of SP 2 though. Yours may ( will ) come with it.

hth

Ceri

6. haplo210

haplo210

sp2 is alright, you just have to uninstall and switch off the firewall in it. Your ADSL should have an inbuilt one, thats waht im using, works a charm, if you get it to install that is.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I quit recommending Dell..

8. mr_rain

mr_rain

man im sorry, but i got a Dell Optiplex GX260. It has P4, 256Ram, & 64mAPG.

Do you know what I use this machine for?

to prop open my back door when I go out to have a smoke.

Dell = Doorstop.

9. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Now, I don't have a CD burner to burn my whole hard drive onto for transfer to the new computer, so I'll have to get the data directly from the original drive. Could anyone give me information on the process of doing this besides hooking up the original drive as a slave?

10. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

If both computers have RJ45 Jacks, you could get an ethernet crossover cable, connect them together, and set up file sharing, and transfer the files that way.

11. Conrad747

Conrad747

to save some time and some grief if something happens during transfer, why not get a second hard drive as a SLAVE rather than a master.

12. Conrad747

Conrad747

i am sorry i did not read your question properly. my fault.

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep, the crossover cable would probably the best option unless you could find someone to lend you an external HD for a few days. :)

14. mr_rain

mr_rain

If you have a digital camera with a LARGE amount of memory... you could use it to transfer files. I use to pack around mp3's with my camera.

15. Flags

Flags

Axeman: XP has a 'Files and Settings Transfre Wizard' that will do this for you.
    Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    I've never used it but it probably isn't too hard to figure out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/308845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice