1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am interested in building a gaming pc

Discussion in 'Games' started by dragonlord, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dragonlord

dragonlord Thread Starter

Like the guy who posted Aug 31 with last post Sept 3

I am interested in building a gaming pc and am looking at beginning with a so called Gamers Barebone starting at $349. It is a Xaser Thermalake Case w/Window, 420 watt SS, Temp adjustments (fan controls), Temp Display, 2 usb 2.0 & IEEE 1394 firewire. The system board that is offered withit is a FIC AU13 AMD, nVidia nForce2 SPP-128 + MCP-T 33/266/200 Mhz. FSB, etc

I prefer AMD due to price. The Pentium Guy's system is way to rich for me (wish I could afford) and I need AMD products. Also a Good Monitor, since I know very little about them.

First, Is this okay? To behind? Price any good? Anything better lower price?

Next, with 400, 533, & 800 FSB NOW out what & where could I get a case for the same set up, with all the fans and airflow, cooling? What price?

I want to get a case set up and motherboard that will not be to far behind the times so to speak, that I can increase as my income does without having to start all over again but just change a little here and there without being to far behind the rest of the world. In otherwords I do not want my base set up to be a dinosaur in 2 weeks :) or months :) or year, you get the point.

Last, could anyone give me an idea and break down of a system such as this piece by piece for a good price & quality, that I can add one piece at a time as I get the money?

Example:
    Nice setup Case like this
    System Board
    CPU
    HD
    Vid Card
    Snd Card
    etc.

And where the best prices to look to get each piece.

I know, I know I read the one that was posted on 8/31, good stuff but I need a little bit more specifics please. Especially on this case I am lloking at and the MB. I think I should get at least 400/533? But the price????

Thanks

DL

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

3. dragonlord

dragonlord Thread Starter

I need the help on the AMD side of things like the guy with the Pentium set up message but for AMD. I read several guides and understand the basics, I believe. My main issuses are this case and mb, and higher 400,533,800 - I want the first 2 pieces to be very up to date, not most expensive/cutting edge mind you, but expandable and upgradable enough to hang with the the top end middle of the pack.

4. RSM123

RSM123

5. McTimson

McTimson

Any ATX motherboard will fit in an ATX case. Just about all P4 and AMD Athlon motherboards use the ATX form factor, so if you get a new motherboard, you won't have to worry about getting a new case.

As RSM123 said, those FSB's are only for Intel processors, not AMD. AMD's run at 266, 333, and (sometimes) 400. The 266's use the Athlon XP Palomino or Thoroughbred core, the 333's and 400's use the AthlonXP Barton core. The Bartons, obviously, are much more expensive, so if you need to save money, just get a thoroughbred core, you won't notice that much of a performance increase with a Barton of equal speed.

6. GLiO

GLiO

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice