1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i am not allowed on my own network?!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by angeltherat, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angeltherat

angeltherat Thread Starter

i have a netgear router, which is not the problem. i use cable broadband, which is not the problem. the problem is in my computer. my sister, who has a wireless connection to the router (we are the only two on the network) connects just fine.

whenever i try to access my network groups it says i do not have permission. but i am the admin of the computer and the network. there were no other user profiles created on my computer.

when i look up network connections i get "dial up" and "lan or highspeed internet" and that is it. there used to be more.

i cannot figure out what i have done to my computer to make this happen. i have looked thru logs and the only thing that even points to anything is that the ethernet card may not be functioning properly even tho it is "enabled and fuctioning properly"

when i do the network wizard, it sometimes works, and sometime says "cannot complete process"

and get this. when i ping the computer it is "timed out".

help meeeee... i don't have much hair to tear out (it being so short) but i am about to start.

2. angeltherat

oh, and i just did a release/renew in ipconfig, and it says the ethernet adapter has the correct address, but it also says something about the PPP adapter. is that what the problem is? (the PPP adaptor is on someother ip address that i have never seen before)

3. angeltherat

fffffffff................k

it is norton internet security. the personal firewall part. i never told it to block myself. i am gonna uninstal and reinstal and see what happens.

4. angeltherat

yerp. i mean yup

reinstalled norton internet security. no problemo.

but i would like to know why i am on TWO networks, i only set up one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice