1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am so new to this ~ Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by krazymama, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krazymama

krazymama Thread Starter

:confused:OK I am not sure if this can even be done, but I thought I would ask. I live in a rural area and cannot get Cable or DSL. Until last October I had dial up. I bought a Dell Inspiron1720 laptop with a wireless card and I have wireless boradband now. I love it. BUT All the other computers in my home are still on dial up and someone suggested that I route the signal from my laptop to the other two PCs in my home. IS that possible and how would I do it? Thanks for your help.

2. Lykele

Lykele

Since I've come here myself for help I am far from an expert in the field, but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I always think of a wireless router like a radio station transmitter. A signal is sent out. If I came to your house with my laptop that is capable of receiving this signal then I could connect along with you. But in your case the other 2 computers don't have the means to receive this signal.

You could plug in to a USB port, on the other computers, a Wireless G USB Adapter. Kinda looks like an antenna if you set it up in a stand they sometime give you. NOW, suddenly, your other computers have a way of capturing the signal that the wireless router is sending out.

If any of the other computers have an Ethernet plug in it, I would guess you could hard wire it directly to the router itself.

Here is a link to such an item as I've mentioned that I used myself. But I don't know of anyway to share your signal directly from the laptop.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

Jim

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you mean you have the wireless broadband that is like a cell phone, but for data? If so, you can probably get a router that works with the card (what card is it?). A less expensive solution is to enable ICS on your laptop and share your internet connection with the other computers via wireless or ethernet.

4. krazymama

krazymama Thread Starter

Yes, I have wireless broadband through my cell phone service.

5. krazymama

krazymama Thread Starter

Oh...I am not sure what kind of card it is, Verizon Wireless??

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here's one brand of the kind of router you may want; of course, you have to actually look at your card to see if it is compatible with any given router.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice