1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am stumped

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gfxrelay, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

One of my hard drives failed recently and I managed to recover most of the old data with a program called Recoversoft. It recovered the entire windows and most of my data. I was able to boot from the drive that I was able to recover the data to and managed to repair windows. Everything seems to be working fine except for a DOS accounting program that I used to keep track of our companies employees. If I try to open the program it only flashes a command prompt and then exits. When I try to re-install it from the command prompt it just skips over to the next line. If I copy this program to a seperate computer and install it there it installs with out any problems and I am able work on the application again. On the original computer I have repaired windows and ran sfc /scannow to replace any damaged system files but I am not able to use this specific application on it. Does any one know of something I can try or what could cause this??:confused:

2. rebon

rebon

All I can think of is uninstalling the programme, the use regedit from the run command., then remove every file associated with the programme then re-install it.

Long shot but may help. Also be VERY careful what you remove from the registry. Maybe create a backup and restore point .

good luck.

3. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Open a command window- in Vista - All Programs-Accessories and run in the DOS window. Maybe you can debug from there.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Are you using a batch file to open this program?
    What program?
    You can edit the properties of a batch file by rt-clicking it.

5. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

You could also try running it in Windows 95 or 98 compatibility. Right-click on program name select PROPERTIES-COMPATIBILITY.

6. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply. I tried running it from the command prompt. When I enter the command and hit enter it just skips to the next line. I have also tried compatibility mode with 95 and 98 but it does exactly the same:(

7. Hughv

Hughv

One more time:
    Are you using a batch file to open this program?
    What program?
    You can edit the properties of a batch file by rt-clicking it.

8. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

No I am not using a batch file its a stand alone executable: LBSLone by a company called T-SOFT.

9. Hughv

Hughv

What do you mean "Skips to the next line?"
    What's the name of the file you're clicking?
    Find the executable file. (Probably a .com)
    Rt-click/properties
    Under the Screen Tab, check "Window".
    Then try running it.

10. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

Ookay from the top. The file I am clicking on is an exe called "LBSlone.exe". When I double click on it,it simply flashes a black window then disappears. When I open the command prompt and try to execute the same exe it executes the program and then goes to the next line. (like when you execute a dir command. It executes the goes to the prompt again) I have tried running it in a window, full screen, compatibility mode and even in a seperate memory space with protected memory space but it still does the same. Command like dir, ipconfig, print all run normally it's just this one application

11. Hughv

Hughv

Did you:
    Rt-click/properties
    Under the Screen Tab, check "Window".
    Then try running it?
    Maybe it wants an argument. Try lbslone/?

12. gfxrelay

gfxrelay Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far. Yes I did change it to run in a window. It seems like one of the windows system files are corrupt. I am going to try re-installing windows and see if that works

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!