1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I am trying to connect my other computer to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lisaianniello, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisaianniello

lisaianniello Thread Starter

Hi, i have two computers in my house at the moment, one in living room and one in my bedroom, i am trying to connect my one in my bedroom to the internet, what would be the best way to do this???
    i was trying to do it through a ethernet switch, (have an ethernet wire running from my modem to the switch, then have another wire plugged in the switch up to the computer in my room, then i was told to go on Control Panel, then Network and Internet Connections, then try and setup a network) but it didnt work, have you any ideas how to fix this,?

thank you

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If your modem is a modem only and not a router/modem combo you need a router and NOT a switch.

Please give makes and models if your not sure of the modem in question but if your sure its just a modem go out and buy a router.

3. lisaianniello

oh, ok. thank you

4. lisaianniello

i have now got my router, it is a Netgear Web Safe Router, make RP614v3.
    it says the first thing you have to do is insert the CD, i done this and a Maximus virus came up, so i deleted it using NTL Netguard Security, and i restarted my computer, and tried the CD again, and nothing came up, so it says on the CD " if the CD dose not start automatically, browse to the CD drive and double-click on autorun.exe." i did this and nothing came up,
    has anyone else had this problem with Netgear?
    how did you fix it?

thank you

5. wacor

wacor Banned

if you had a virus show up i would suggest getting that computer cleaned up first so you do not risk it being spread on the network. i know you say you deleted it but many times they do not get deleted. it is your call but i would suggest running Hijack This and posting the results.

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
    Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree with fixing any virus infection before you proceed. Once that's out of the way:

If you have a cable account, do this:

Reset the router to factory defaults.

Power down EVERYTHING, modem, router, machine.

Connect the router WAN/Internet port to the modem, and a LAN/Network port to the machine.

Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect/data light.

Turn on the router, wait for a couple of minutes.

Boot the machine, and you should be connected.

7. lisaianniello

but a virus comes up everytime i put the CD in the cd drive, ive took care of the virus, but it came up again, and i had to fix it yet again,

8. wacor

wacor Banned

As I mentioned before virus's are sometimes not easy to get rid of. it is your choice but i would work on that first and the best way to get some answers is with Hijack This

If you are leery about it you need not be

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's not the CD that's the issue, you really still haven't gotten rid of the infection!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice