1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I beg you.....How do i change my ip?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kris78164, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kris78164

kris78164 Thread Starter

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is there a router between your cable modem and your PC? You should be automatically be getting the IP address from your router or cable modem.

3. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Or else when you bought your internet connection your isp should have given you your ip address. If they didnt then select Obtain an Ip address automatically

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Virtually all cable ISP's automatically assign you an IP address, you don't get to select it or change it.

5. kris78164

kris78164 Thread Starter

Well............I remember once when i dissconected my computer for about 2 days i hot a new ip.....But i dont have the choice to do that now...because the internet is importent use in my house.

6. JohnWill

I was recently debugging a different router configuration, and I connected it to my Comcast account. I got a different IP address, apparently because this was a different MAC address. When I reconnected my router after I was done, my IP address returned to the previous value that I have had for months.

7. kris78164

kris78164 Thread Starter

how do i debugg?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

kris78164,

There are two different IP addressing being referred to and I think that may be what is causing the confusion.

You cable modem will be getting the Internet Public IP address. There isn't too much you can typically do about that. You may or may not be keeping your same Internet IP address.

The link you showed, is your private LAN IP address. I you have a router, then that will typically be the IP address from your router (assuming it is configured for DHCP and your computer is configured to obtain an IP address automatically). If you want to manually enter in your LAN IP address, you can do that as well.

9. kris78164

kris78164 Thread Starter

ya you know how you say mannualy put it....do i randomly make a ip number

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Manually and Randomly are two different things.

If the computer, when connected to the router, networks and can get to the Internet ok, then if you want you can manually enter in the same IP address information is it getting automatically.

To find out what you have now, open up a DOS window and run IPCONFIG /ALL. The information you need to enter manually is the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS address.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

kris78164,

Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve by manually entering in the IP information or is this more of an exercise for learning.

12. kris78164

kris78164 Thread Starter

Yes.....I play a game called soldier of fourtune.....and i got banned off a server...beacuse i made fun of the ldr.But my freind said that i can change my ip.And i no lonnger will be banned

13. JohnWill

Well, your friend was wrong, at least for 99% of the ISP's on the planet. I'm not inclined to help people get around proper restrictions put in place for bad behavior anyway. I suggest you follow standard rules of etiquette for the server you're playing through next time, and this will cease to be an issue. :rolleyes: (n)

14. angel

angel

You would need your external IP changed then. So, the answer to your question "How do I change my IP?" is that YOU can't. You external IP is given to you by your ISP. You can try calling them and ask them to assign you a differnet one or you can likely just wait awhile because most ISP assign IPs for a specific leasing period. Once the lease is up, you may be assigned a new IP.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad I asked the question. Seemed like there was more going on that was apparent from the first post.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice