I bought a 2T external hard drive, WinXP Pro can't see it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

texasgirl77418

I bought an UBS external hard drive to increase my file storage capacity. Windows Explorer can't see it. But my icon to Safely Remove Hardware does see it. I googled the problem, tried to follow all the advice. I cannot find how to set up a new drive for it.
The control panel found it to scan.
Any ideas what to try next?

My Computer Info: Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI FireGL V3100, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (8 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KG052
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Make and model of the USB external drive may be helpful?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KG052
You appear to have a Dell Precision 470 desktop that's designed for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
BIOS update A04 was released in April 2005 and improves support for 400 GB or larger capacity hard drives.
BIOS update A07 was released in March 2006 and improves support for USB 1.1 devices.

If you Dell isn't a Precision 470, what model name and model number is it?
What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on it?
What BIOS version does it have?

--------------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
Among my external drives I own two 2TB WD My Passport Ultra.
I plugged them into an XP on a Dimension 2400 and both were seen and give a drive letter. I was able to explore the drives and see my image files.

WD does try to install something but I don't let it. It complains about WSW not working but the drive itself works and I can put data on and move data off.

TerryNet

Terry
Is the new hard drive MBR or GPT? XP 32-bit does not work with GPT disks; you would have to convert the disk to MBR.

If it is MBR does it appear in Disk Management? If so, can you assign a drive letter?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online