1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I bought an XP Pro OEM disc for $43.88 (plus shipping)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pjblevin, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

I have an aging but nevertheless still potent Dell desktop. It came with ME, but spent most of it's life running 2KPro. But I wanted XP, and I wanted SP2 (you know, all the good stuff). But I didn't wanna pay a lot of money for it. I once paid $184.00 for an XP disc at Costco. And M$ talks about piracy! This time, I Googled until I was satisfied that I had found the cheapest price. $43.88. I knew that I was taking a chance, and might get scammed......but I went ahead with it anyway. It came from DirectDepot2U via UPS yesterday. When I opened the package, there were 2 discs, and a rather brief instruction sheet: "Dear Customer: Please install windows with Back Up CD for all computers. The original CD (Dell, HP, Compaq or Gateway..) is your license CD and for all special drivers. Thanks. Customer Service" No COA, or any ot that fancy stuff. I was on my own. One CD was a genuine Dell XP home reinstallation CD......but I wasn't supposed to use that. The other CD (XP pro, as I would discover) was colored solid fire-engine red, with a crude inkstamp that read "Back Up CD" (without the quotes). There was a little sheet with the product key. It could have made the grade for Army surplus. I popped it into the tray, and off I went. It started nicely, and after everything was installed, prompted me for the product key. From there it seemed to take over with a mind of it's own. All I had to do was sit back and enjoy the show, occasionally checking for a choice. At one point, it asked if I was directly connected to a modem, or to a router. I clicked router. The next thing I knew, a Microsoft update was being installed. I was on the Internet! I know, I know, only have mouse, keyboard & monitor connected. But you see, I was riding a horse without a saddle.....having a good time. I hadn't disconnected anything. I clicked on the IE button. Boom, there was MSN! I went to MS updates, as I wanted to install SP2. It said no updates were available. Curious, I opened "system". SP2 was already in there! I opened Device Manager. I wondered where all the yellow went. (I was prepared to deal with drivers, as I had previously gone on the Dell website, downloaded all my XP updated drivers, unzipped, and burned them to a CD. I just now threw that CD into the wastebasket.) To sum up, I've never had an installation go so smoothly. Now, maybe I'm heading for a fall. Maybe this disc is illegitimate. But hey, what have I got to lose? $43.88 (plus shipping).

pjblevin

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Ummmmmmmm ! is there a problem in there that needs solving ? :eek:

3. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

EvileYe: I hope not.

pjblevin

4. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

I never question divine intervention.

5. wedor

wedor

It is indeed illegal, have you tried activating it yet?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

It sounds like it was a Dell Operating System installed on a Dell . . I do it all the time for clients who do not have a SP2 disc to reinstall, but those machnes have a COA which makes it legit . .

The Dell installation looks to the BIOS to verify that it is indeed a Dell being installed on . . if it finds a Dell BIOS, it does not have to be activated.

It does sound illegal in this circumstance, since the machine came with ME (pardon the language)

7. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

I know it sounds illegal. Like too good to be true. But I dimly remember (it was a long time ago).......when I installed the XP disc from Costco.......after installation I was asked something like: "would you like to activate your product now?" I clicked OK, and everything was fine. This time, there was no prompt of any kind......it's as if I was reinstalling windows using my original disc. There was a single sheet that came with the discs, containing, among other things, an "OEM Product Purchase Agreement". I didn't understand one damned thing about it, and just went ahead with the installation. I've scanned the sheet to JPEG, and if anybody wants me to send it as an attachment to their e-mail, let me know. I'd sure like to understand this thing.

pjblevin

8. braggwade2

braggwade2

Can you send me the OEM Agreement at [email protected]? I want to look at and can you also give me the site that the product came from in the email

William

9. bradly

bradly

braggwade2:

Just a little advice: never post your exact email because spammer software will grab it.
    IE - see my email. ;)

10. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

11. braggwade2

braggwade2

If I get spam I know what to do with it. I have 14yrs experience with computers plus I have 4 other email addresses.

William

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I know what to do with it too, avoid it by whatever means available, and only then deal with it. The smart money is to use a graphic display of your address if you want to post it. [​IMG]

13. wedor

wedor

"It looks like a compant that has dealings with Apple and Dell, I would say there
    legit."

Not according to Microsoft, it is illegal to sell the Windows OS without a COA and the proper media.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/348478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice