1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I broke my TV Tuner's cable tv input -- HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by quantass, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

I own a Zoltrix TV Max PCI tv tuner capture card for Windows 98. The video card is old and always had a loose cable-TV coax cable input. The cable TV input finally snapped off leaving me without tv on my desktop. I decided to open up the unit and found the connector had its back-end, rigid metal wire severed due to excessive twisting from the cable tv wire (the severed metal connected to the PCB stands vertical perpendicular to the board while the severed coax input end has a protrudng horizontal end). Even though I've never done this before but I was thinking about repairing the unit myself with a soldering iron?!

Is this how I'd go about repairing the Zoltrix TV Max cable input connector? The area to be repaired is incredibly tiny. Perhaps there are tools for reconnecting such a small broken area? BTW the outter metal is grayish, however the breakage area shows what seems to be a more copper-ish color on the inside.

Thanks.

2. Perfesser

Perfesser

This shouldn't be too difficult with the right tools. The connector is a standard TV 'F' connector, isn't it?
    If it is you should be able to solder the wire back to the pin - might need to solder a short 'extension' onto it to get it to reach the connector.
    Go to Radio Shack and get a small soldering iron; 25 watts with a small tip will be enough; get some fine solder and don't overheat the work when you solder it back. It sounds like the connector is loose in the backplate or it wouldn't have twisted the wire off.

3. quantass

quantass Thread Starter

Removing the PCI card and pulling off the top of the TV tuner component revealed a broken connection. I decided to solder the severed conenction back together (the F-Connector to the PCB end) but after reinstalling the card found there still was no TV tuning input coming in!? I eventually got fed up and began desoldering the broken end attached to the PCB and replacing the broken off F-Connector with a new TV Coaxial connector (Type F-61A chasis mounts).

The PCB connection area is a millimeter-diametered circular opening surrounded with silver. I cant tell if the silver color goes deeper than the surface area. My plan was this: to take the new TV Coax connector end (a thin .5" protruding end) and bend it so that it laid flat on top of the PCB silver opening. After soldering & testing the capture card: No TV cable input.

Can u tell me what Im doing wrong? During soldering Im cleaning off the iron head, thinning, and so forth. I figured once I had the connection made (be it flat on the PCB area or within the hole) and then applied solder to fill in the gaps a solid conduction connection would be made. What gives?

4. pronute

pronute

The traces on the PCB are pretty thin you may have unwittingly burned them off. Check the traces with a magnifying lens for any bubbling or breaks if you find any you may be able to fix them with PCB trace compound paint. If the trace is ok you may have burned the insulator inside the F connector shorting it to ground internally. In the future use a 50% Roslyn lead solder, and a soldering heat sink on the threw side of the board (between the component and the board) to protect the component.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

My daughter broke the coax connector off her TV recently, I tried soldering, but finally gave up and hooked a VCR up to her component inputs for her to get cable and turn channels with. If you have component inputs on the card, maybe you can get a old VCR to hook to it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice