I can’t connect to an XP computer’s shared folders

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rasmasyean

I’m using Vista 64 and in the Network explorer I see the computer names (2 XP computers A and B) come up.
For XP computer A I can see the shared folders.
But for XP computer B, it just shows the computer but I can’t open it.
It says: “Windows cannot access \\B. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.”
And of course that button does not help.

But I know the network is working because using B, I can access other network folders on A and the Vista machine. But not the other way around.

I'm having a very similar problem. I'm running a wired Vista 64 computer called JDesktop, and trying to connect to a wireless xp computer called Media. I can connect to every other computer on my network, both wired and wireless, from both of these computers, but they cannot talk to each other. When I type in \\MEDIA or click on it's icon in Network, I get the exact same message as above saying "Windows Cannot Access \\MEDIA". Error Code: 0x80070035 The Network Path Was Not Found.

I just replaced my router and modem, and I don't know why this problem would occur after doing that, but it worked before doing this.

Any suggestions would be really helpful as well.

Check to make sure a firewall is not blocking the incoming connections on the computer you are having trouble reaching.

Ok, I'm not sure how I fixed the problem would help anyone else, but my motherboard had two ethernet ports and by simply switching the ports my computer started to work correctly. I didn't change any firewall or computer settings.

rasmasyean

Check to make sure a firewall is not blocking the incoming connections on the computer you are having trouble reaching.
I turned the firewall off and it still doesn't work.

It's so strange. I can't even ping the problem-computer from any other computer but it shows up in my Vista Explorer's "Network".
Why does it even show up if I can't even ping it. Where does it get its name from? :confused:

And why is it that the problem-computer can ping everyone else and even download files from every good-computer? :confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you can't ping it, it's a 99% that there is still a firewall component in the mix that is blocking the requests.

rasmasyean

If you can't ping it, it's a 99% that there is still a firewall component in the mix that is blocking the requests.
You are right! Problem solved! Stupid me, I had forgot I had a Security Suite still going on when I turned off the Windows Firewall. :p
It turns out that it defaulted to blocking file sharing and blocking ping.

Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
These things happen. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
©
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online