I can’t connect my monitors to my PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aydencfc

I recently bought a PC from my friend about two weeks ago, and the PC was last used three-four weeks ago. Once I set everything up, the PC would not connect to either monitor. I have reset the BIOS, tried connecting it through the motherboard, taken out both the RAM and the GPU, cleaned both. I know it isn’t the monitors as they both work with other things, and the cables also work. I’m not sure what the issue is.

Have you attempted to re-install them? Perhaps not all the plug-ins are in correctly, check the inputs and outputs also, make sure neither is broken, also you need to check to make sure they're compatible, some TV's, and monitors aren't compatible, especially if they have big age differences, try another tv/monitor

aydencfc

i’ve tried two monitors and a tv so far, none have worked. the monitor knows something is plugged in as it says ‘no signal’ instead of ‘cable not connected’. when i connected the monitor to an xbox however it did work, so i know the cables i’m using work.

Couriant

James
If your computer and monitor has a VGA port, try using that to make sure it's not the HDMI ports on the computer.

aydencfc

no vga ports unfortunately on the pc. the monitor i have doesn’t have a DP port either so i can’t try that. both HDMI ports don’t work either though so i’m not sure

crjdriver

You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running . Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc.

Just to be sure you are not seeing anything on the monitor ie motherboard splash screen; it is just black?

crjdriver

yes, two hdmi inputs. one in the motherboard and one in the gpu.
If a real video card is installed, the motherboard ports are disabled however since you have not posted specs, we do not know if you have onchip video or not. Some processors have onchip video and others do not.

Couriant

James
Can you hear the fans spins when you turn it on? Any beep sounds?

aydencfc

the person i bought it off said it had onboard graphics, i’ll tell you the specs that i know.

-GPU radeon rx580
-CPU intel i5 7400
-118gb SSD
-RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB

crjdriver

OK, you do have onchip video. Pull out the video card [it must be fully removed] connect the monitor to the onboard port and pw ON. See if you get a display now.

Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull the video card out. Do not just yank it out; you will break something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online