Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can’t connect my monitors to my PC

792 views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I recently bought a PC from my friend about two weeks ago, and the PC was last used three-four weeks ago. Once I set everything up, the PC would not connect to either monitor. I have reset the BIOS, tried connecting it through the motherboard, taken out both the RAM and the GPU, cleaned both. I know it isn’t the monitors as they both work with other things, and the cables also work. I’m not sure what the issue is.

#9 ·
If a real video card is installed, the motherboard ports are disabled however since you have not posted specs, we do not know if you have onchip video or not. Some processors have onchip video and others do not.

#4 ·
Have you attempted to re-install them? Perhaps not all the plug-ins are in correctly, check the inputs and outputs also, make sure neither is broken, also you need to check to make sure they're compatible, some TV's, and monitors aren't compatible, especially if they have big age differences, try another tv/monitor

#5 ·
i’ve tried two monitors and a tv so far, none have worked. the monitor knows something is plugged in as it says ‘no signal’ instead of ‘cable not connected’. when i connected the monitor to an xbox however it did work, so i know the cables i’m using work.

#8 ·
You are posting in a hardware forum and no one has any idea what hardware you are running . Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, etc, etc.

Just to be sure you are not seeing anything on the monitor ie motherboard splash screen; it is just black?

#13 ·
OK, you do have onchip video. Pull out the video card [it must be fully removed] connect the monitor to the onboard port and pw ON. See if you get a display now.

Note there is a latch that must be depressed to pull the video card out. Do not just yank it out; you will break something.

#16 ·
Then you are going to have to do some troubleshooting AND you are going to need to post your exact pw supply.
Do the following [if you are comfortable working inside the case]
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply. Hit the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors
2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
3 Reseat ie remove and replace both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
4 Pull out ALL ram. Blow the slots out with a can of air. Reinstall a single ram chip in whatever slot your manual says to populate with a single ram chip. Be sure it is fully seated
5 Remove ALL add-in cards ie real sound card, raid controller, video card. Connect your monitor to the onboard port on the motherboard
6 Clear cmos with the clear pins. Note modern boards use two pins that you short. Older boards use three pins and a jumper you need to move. Read your manual
7 Disconnect any usb devices ie printer, hub, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
8 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. If the motherboard completes POST in the above config, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you need to swap parts with known good units; ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.