1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can browse the web and DL but I cannot PING

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MarkTheMan, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkTheMan

MarkTheMan Thread Starter

I've tried everything! I can surf the web and download but when i try to Trace route google/Microsoft or anything I don't get any thing back, its all timed out. I found this out when I tried to connect to a gaming server Battle.net and which it won't allow me to do.
    My windows FireWall is Off, I couldn't turn it on even if i wanted to because it doesn't give me the option.
    I am connected from a router to my computer with an ethernet cord.
    I can connect to gaming servers with my laptops even if I connect with the ethernet cord.
    I even tried connected the therent straight to the cable to the desktop!
    im running on an older HP xp pentium4

2. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

Seems like a problem with Windows. Try the updates (windows updates). Are you sure that Windows edition that you have there is clean (licensed)? Because sometimes Microsoft cripples the functionality in the unlicensed systems. Check their genuine check. Reply as soon as possible for other avenues.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Firewalls are the top suspect here.

Run this Berkeley ICSI Netalyzr and let it complete, it'll take several minutes. At the top of the results page, you'll find a link named Permalink, as illustrated in the graphic below. Click that link, then copy the link address from the browser address bar and paste it here.

[​IMG]

4. MarkTheMan

5. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

6. MarkTheMan

7. MarkTheMan

To the Ping test:
    MOS:3.69
    PING:98ms
    JITTER:113ms
    PACKET LOSS:0%

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try booting the problem computer in Safe Mode With Networking and see if you get different results from the trace commands.

9. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

10. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

Ping and Traceroute no longer supported
    Wednesday, March 12, 2003
    Battle.net servers no longer support the PING or TRACERT (traceroute) commands. This is due to abuse of these utilities in malicious attacks.
    To test connectivity to Battle.net follow these steps:
    1. Run "telnet uswest.battle.net 6112" (replace uswest with the appropriate Battle.net gateway name).
    2. Once connected, press "c". Battle.net will respond with a login prompt.

If you fail to connect with this method, you may have a connectivity issue.

The Battle.net Team

http://www.battle.net/news/0303.shtml

11. MarkTheMan

Yes hiperboreus, unfortunatley i've already gone through all of that. I've also tried to ping google and microsoft and didn't get a response from either.

John- imediatley when windows started in admin I was promted with
    Windows is running in safe mode.
    This special dianostic mode of Windows enables you to fix a problem which may be caused by your network or hardware settings. Make sure these settings are corrected in Control Panel, and then try starting Windows again. While in safe mode, some of your devices may not be available.
    To proceed to work in safe mode, click Yes. If you prefer to use system restore your computer to a previous state, click No.

12. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

Some routers are prohibiting the PING command for outbound connections. Maybe you are lucky and you have some sort of hidden option in the router`s menu to enable PING. Check thoroughly in the router`s menu. I know that i had something like this on a previous DLINK DIR-655.

13. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

14. MarkTheMan

I pinged www.google.com and got
    1. 1ms <1ms 1<ms 192.168.1.1
    The rest are timed out.

15. hiperboreus

hiperboreus

You see...it`s the router. It doesn`t allow outbound ping and it sending you to the local router. Thats a typical local router address...your router!
    Can you tell us which type of router, switch are you using? 192.168.1.1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice