1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can has some feed back?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Manifesto316, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Manifesto316

Manifesto316 Thread Starter

So I have built myself a custom PC over at cyberpowerpc.com (and yes I have read all the bad things about the site and I have also checked out other sites as well). The reason I am posting here is because I don't know as much about computers as I would like to, and I was hoping to get some feed back from you nice folks regarding my rig and whether or not any of you believe I should chance any of the hardware. So I will stop my babbling and just post the specs now.

CAS: Apevia X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-84] (Red Color)
    CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6])
    CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+134]
    CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    FAN: Raidmax Maxcool Intel CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [-32]
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-26])
    KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave Keyboard & Mouse Combo [+72]
    MOTHERBOARD: ($20 off Mail-in Rebate) MSI P7N SLI-FI 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    NETWORK: ADDITIONAL PCI 32 BIT 10/100 NETWORK CARD [+8]
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [+15]
    POWERSUPPLY: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
    SOUND: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE [+30]
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 16X PCI Express [+66] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    PRICE: (+1260)

Any input is welcomed, and appreciated.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Windows XP 32-bit is only going to let you use 2 to 3 GB of your RAM. I would save money and reduce the RAM to 2GB.

3. BG-0

BG-0

o_O I'm using 3.325 GB of RAM with Win XP Pro. Anyways, I would suggest getting 2x2 GB instead of 4x1 GB. So if you one day go Vista, you could max it up to 8 GB.

4. Manifesto316

So Windows XP Professional runs at 64 bit right? and I can slap 4 gigs on that?

5. BG-0

BG-0

XP Pro is not 64-bit if not mentioned especially. There are 32- and 64-bit versions. I have 32-bit version. That's why all of my 4 GB aren't recognized.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Only 64 bit XP pro runs at 64 bit. The vast majority of systems using XP pro are 32 bit. Don't obsess on running 4 gigs unless you know exactly what you are going to need it for, and need it for at least 10% of use time. 4 gigs of RAM can actually cause a system to run slower than 2 or 3 because of certain side-effects.

7. Manifesto316

On the site is says Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2, so I should just assume it is 32 bit then? Also if I just used 2 instead of 4 gigs of RAM would I notice a huge difference?

8. Manifesto316

Ok thanks guys. I will just stick with XP Home and get 2 gigs and save myself some money as suggested. Thanks for the help.

9. BG-0

BG-0

You don't need 4 Gigs for anything when running XP. With Vista you could need 4 GB. Whatever between 2.8-3.4 gigs is usable on your XP (Home? that's what you said) will be well enough for about any needs. Anyways, I still recommend trying to get 2x2 GB(or 1x2GB) instead of 4x1GB(or 2x1GB). And try to make sure it is Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot, Kingston or some other quality - almost quality, instead of PNY or generic or other like that.
    I would like to comment many of the other parts, too, but without knowing all the options for them... Quite useless..

10. Manifesto316

Would you recommend XP or Vista? I would be using it mostly for light-medium gaming and nothing to intensive.

BG-0 what do you mean by "all the options for them"?

11. BG-0

BG-0

The options for the parts. As I can see the (+-whatever prices), there supposedly are some options for them to choose from.

12. huffman416

huffman416

sexy specs, i like em! Its up to you were you want to specialize in Tiger direct has execellent to help buy a compy

-Huffman

13. huffman416

huffman416

opps i didnt read right disregard my previous post plz

-Huffman

14. Manifesto316

15. BG-0

BG-0

Okay, take the 320 GB HDD, more space, double the cache(a little faster), only 6 $ more.
    You don't need an extra NIC or sound card. Onboard ones are actully fine for almost all but professional use.
    Ultra would be much better choice for PSU than Hush.. RAM is fine.

That's propably all there is to do.. Except for asking them to lower their prices. That just seems ridilously high for what you get, and it's parts that you choose only because there isn't anything better available.

Huffman, you can also delete your posts by first choosing edit, the delete, the cofirm delete.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice