1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can not install windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by larr123, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larr123

larr123 Thread Starter

I am trying to reinstall window xp for about a week now.but at the setup i received this error message

" An Unexpected Error (768) Occurred at Line [email protected]:Xp\Client\Boot\Setup\Setup.c

microsoft listed this error at their knowledge base as a result of upgrading from windows 98, BUT I formated the drive thousand time with no success

I tried every thing even low format the hard drive I used all kind of software but nothing worked for me.

the hard drive is maxtor 40 gig and it one month old , cpu athlon xp 2400 , video is gforce 4400
    please help

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Have you folowed these directions?

Disable GoBack when Windows XP Setup Restarts Your Computer
    To disable GoBack when Windows XP Setup restarts your computer:
    Press SPACEBAR to view the GoBack boot menu.
    Press D (to disable goBack), press Y (yes, to confirm), and then press ENTER twice.

Cancel Setup, Uninstall GoBack, Then Reinstall Windows XP
    Restart the computer, and then choose the "Cancel Windows XP Setup" option.

When your previous version of Windows is running again, use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to uninstall the GoBack version 3 software.
    Reinstall Windows XP.

If you have no goback, re-perform a format with a 98 boot disk

boot and type format/s c: then enter

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to do.
    Download and run the hd mgf’s utility for checking the hd.
    Download and run a memory tester; most install problems with nt based os are ram problems. If both ram and hd check ok, then continue to check the items listed below.

Check processor temp in the bios; stable it should not be above 50C with no load.
    Check for a bios update; I see you are running a gf4. There have been issues with various mb mgfs using the gf4 card. The bios updates fix this problem.
    Is your ps up to running everything you have in your system? Check the ps. If it is made by foxconn, deer, austin get rid of it. Use only good quality ps from name brand mgfs like Antec, Enermax, Enlight, Coolmax. There are others, those are just what I install.

4. larr123

larr123 Thread Starter

this problem is getting more complicated now,

-I changed the hard drive with a brand new one
    -I changed the ram
    - I tested the gforce video card with another computer and it is good
    -I flashed the bios from MB maker(I am not certain it is the right one)
    -I Changed CD drive
    - I tried to install window 98 but i failed at first start after instalation.

I AM STILL HAVING THE SAME ERROR AT THE SETUP

I don't know but I am thinking to change the monther board (although this computer is less than 2 months old)

please help

5. adambailey

adambailey Guest

if your computer is less than 2 months old why not take it back where you got it from! you must have a garenty? if not why not!

6. adambailey

adambailey Guest

or did you build it your self????

7. larr123

larr123 Thread Starter

it cost about $50 to ship it there, I would like to narrow the problem so I can ship the bad part

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice