1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I can rdc, and access shared folders but can't map

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmmmrats, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmmmrats

mmmmrats Thread Starter

the logon name, my primary administrator name, works when i try to connect to my desktop computer from my work laptop via remote desktop connection and by typing \\192.168.1.2 into a window....both ask me for the logon name and password...both work...the problem is i can't map a folder for some reason and i don't know why....i select the drive letter, typer \\192.168.1.2\j$ in and it asks me for name and pw, i enter and it doesn't work....let me know if there is any information i can provide that may help solve this....it's been driving me crazy for a few weeks now

thanks ahead of time

rob

2. srhoades

srhoades

If you enable the sharing of local resources in the RDP connection options it will map your local drives automatically.

3. mmmmrats

mmmmrats Thread Starter

do i need to always be connected to the rdc for that to work?

4. srhoades

srhoades

From which computer are you trying to map to which computer?

If you enable the sharing of local resources then computer A > RDP > computer B, drives from computer A show up as mapped drives on computer B remote session.

If you are trying to map a drive from computer B onto computer A through an RDP session that isn't going to work.

That an $ is for an administrative or hidden share. If the drive is not hidden and you don't have administrative privelages on the drive you are tyring to map that isn't going to work either.

5. mmmmrats

mmmmrats Thread Starter

lets say that the desktop is A and the laptop is B...i'm only really interested in accessing A, which has my movies and mp3s on it....so like i said, i can rdc from B to A and access A's shared folders from B....but what i would like to be able to do is access the A's J and G drive

6. mmmmrats

mmmmrats Thread Starter

via a mapped drive or a shortcut which is more convenient than sharing every folder i would like to access

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice