I can rip cd's but not burn them

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChipHazard

HI Guy's, I've got a Dell 2400, running XP. I just installed a cdrw drive and it worked burning and ripping cd's yesterday. Today I can rip cd's and play them but when I try to burn I get an error message that says "cannot be found". It doesn't matter what program I use. The shortcut can't find it either. I look in My Computer and it doesn't show it. Please help me find it back. Thanks alot!!:)

Your post is a little confusing. What can it not find? The files or the CD-RW drive itself?

ChipHazard

Sorry about that. It can't find the drive itself. It's not in the device manager either. I can't get cd's to play in Windows Media Player.

Good Afternoon, Chiphazard, you might try to see if your machine will boot from a CD.
You can use a windows CD or a Memtest CD or something like that.
This is just to see iif the CD can read in th einitial circumstance. Don't activate any programs off the CD.
If this mode works, chances are there is a problem in windows, if it doesn't your drive may have died.
qldit.

ChipHazard

Thanks qldit for the reply. I booted from an XP cd like you said. After it loaded all the drivers and everything, I cancelled it loading from a cd and started it the regular way. My copmputer can now find the cd-rw!!!! Its fixed!! Must of been something missing. Thanks so much for the advice. You made my day!!!!

Good Afternoon ChipHazard, I am stunned, you must have scared it back to operation.
That is amazing that it fixed itself, I actually can't explain that! (LOL)
Well done, Qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online